oldhenlikesdogs

Hope Springs Eternal
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Am I the only one disturbed by the yearly traditions and all the talks about you know what. These guys want to know..

No! The turkeys are definitely disturbed by this "talk" as well! The chickens...not so much.
D.gif

Howdy oldhenlikesdogs

Yeah, I feel sorry for those guys! Cover their ears and send them over here where they will be safe until Christmas
wink.png

While probably a little off track, the keenness by some to make money off holidays is a little annoying.

Living in Aus we do not have the same holidays as you.

I remember when I was only a child and I saw an advertisement on television to ‘buy mum a dishwasher for Mothers’ Day’ .. a dishwasher? I’m a kid with no job! OK, it might have been directed at Dad, but still.

We do not technically celebrate Halloween but the shopping centres make sure we know when it is … I confess to participating in that we had a carved pumpkin and gave lollies to the neighbourhood children but that was because my hubby is American.

What shocked me was that overnight the local shopping centre went from Halloween decorations to Christmas Decorations and you can guarantee that when Christmas is over, Easter Eggs and hot cross buns will be in store .. I’m thinking January!
roll.png

I reckon they should just park a huge Easter Bunny in the middle of the store, dress him in a red and white suit, hang some spider webs and bats off him, Happy Mothers’ Day Card in one paw, Happy Fathers’ Day Card in the other paw and a basket of easter eggs hanging off his tail .. then he could just be there all year!

Last edited:
Howdy oldhenlikesdogs

Yeah, I feel sorry for those guys!  Cover their ears and send them over here where they will be safe until Christmas ;)

While probably a little off track, the keenness by some to make money off holidays is a little annoying.

Living in Aus we do not have the same holidays as you.

I remember when I was only a child and I saw an advertisement on television to ‘buy mum a dishwasher for Mothers’ Day’ .. a dishwasher? I’m a kid with no job!  OK, it might have been directed at Dad, but still.

We do not technically celebrate Halloween but the shopping centres make sure we know when it is …  I confess to participating in that we had a carved pumpkin and gave lollies to the neighbourhood children but that was because my hubby is American.

What shocked me was that overnight the local shopping centre went from Halloween decorations to Christmas Decorations and you can guarantee that when Christmas is over, Easter Eggs and hot cross buns will be in store .. I’m thinking January! :rolleyes:

I reckon they should just park a huge Easter Bunny in the middle of the store, dress him in a red and white suit, hang some spider webs and bats off him, Happy Mothers’ Day Card in one paw, Happy Fathers’ Day Card in the other paw and a basket of easter eggs hanging off his tail .. then he could just be there all year!
we have no kids, so holidays are just another day around here, I try not to participate in the retail created traditions as well. I don't do gifts, I don't do parties, and I don't go in debt every Christmas. Seems so silly to watch people use holidays as an excuse to buy stuff that's not needed and can't be paid for outright.

I would send you one of my naughty turkeys but it sounds as if you are already picking out recipes, they are like the MM guys, always invited to a party but for nefarious reasons.

Everyone is eating the commercially produced broad breasted variety, these turkeys would not exist if people didn't eat them for Thanksgiving, so there would only be the wild and heritage birds and all those poor broad breasted that can't survive long anyways wouldn't be around.

I realize people will eat turkeys, it's the need of the massive factory farming where no one turkey gets to be a turkey that is sad to me, and their whole life is just to be eaten.

I also have noticed that the turkeys pardoned by the president every year appears to be a broad breasted as well, so they don't live very long anyways. Go mashed potatoes.

Everyone is eating the commercially produced broad breasted variety, these turkeys would not exist if people didn't eat them for Thanksgiving, so there would only be the wild and heritage birds and all those poor broad breasted that can't survive long anyways wouldn't be around.

I realize people will eat turkeys, it's the need of the massive factory farming where no one turkey gets to be a turkey that is sad to me, and their whole life is just to be eaten.

I also have noticed that the turkeys pardoned by the president every year appears to be a broad breasted as well, so they don't live very long anyways. Go mashed potatoes.

Yeah, that's true. That's one of the reason's why I raise my own turkeys every year. Besides, homegrown turkey tastes way better.
smile.png

I know folks poo poo BBB for being so overgrown, but this year I raised them slowly, added lots of scraps(apple peels and chickweed were popular) and slaughtered at 18 weeks. My birds were beautiful, 14-25lb. On Thanksgiving we had an amazing bird. When I exchanged leftovers with a neighbor she added some of her Turkey to the plate. ICK! They may be a little dumb and un-natural but the alternative of commercial bird is truly yuck. I took my giant birds from last year to the local wild game processor and had great sausage and pepperoni sticks made and dried my own jerky. That being said I also have my Heritage flock and I love their personalities.

Back
Top Bottom