Yohoo... my chicks are now 5 weeks old and so cute!

murgiyan

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
SF Bay Area
This is the first time I have had any pet. My son and I (and occassionally my husband :) are really enjoying my 4 golden sexlinks. I keep looking up every time I am chopping veges and fruits to make sure they're appropriate for them. I have been giving them a mix of finely chopped garlic, parsley, cabbage, cauliflower stem, bread, crushed rice krispies and oatmeal and onion's softer skin. It took them a while to try them but when I came back to check on them an hour later, it was all gone! I have been freezing the extras for giving to them later. Today I gave them some soft inner flesh of a cantaloupe (without the seeds), finely chopped up. THey're still looking at it and one of them - she's always the most adventurous one with food, has tried some. Then I saw her wiping her beak. It was so cute! The others look at her and turn away. I am hoping they are eating it as well when I am not watching.

Do you guys have suggestions to how may times should I give them these treats? Currently I give them about half a cup, a couple of times a day. The rest of the time they eat the chicken food.

Baby chicks are so endearing, aren't they? I would suggest you limit the treats to about a tablespoon for each chick a day. It's tempting to want to give them lots of goodies, but what they really need is the balanced nutrition of the chicken food. Treats are nice to teach them that good things come from you, but think of treats as just that, treats! Just as you would limit the cake and ice cream you feed your children, so you should limit these extras you give your chicks. Enjoy your babies as you watch them grow, and - you are providing grit for them, yes?

This is the first time I have had any pet. My son and I (and occassionally my husband :) are really enjoying my 4 golden sexlinks. I keep looking up every time I am chopping veges and fruits to make sure they're appropriate for them. I have been giving them a mix of finely chopped garlic, parsley, cabbage, cauliflower stem, bread, crushed rice krispies and oatmeal and onion's softer skin. It took them a while to try them but when I came back to check on them an hour later, it was all gone! I have been freezing the extras for giving to them later. Today I gave them some soft inner flesh of a cantaloupe (without the seeds), finely chopped up. THey're still looking at it and one of them - she's always the most adventurous one with food, has tried some. Then I saw her wiping her beak. It was so cute! The others look at her and turn away. I am hoping they are eating it as well when I am not watching.

Do you guys have suggestions to how may times should I give them these treats? Currently I give them about half a cup, a couple of times a day. The rest of the time they eat the chicken food.

I agree with the bigbluehen how often mine may get treat like 1 time week also do not want them fat as then they do not lay

Back
Top Bottom