yolk coming out my bantams bum

Mar 6, 2020
Hampshire uk
Hello the other day while my bantam was out with us she suddenly spilled out a lot of yolk out of bum she did it twice and a soft shell came out broken and later runny poop, think she was the one that did a soft shell yolk pile in coop few days before

went to see her today lots of runny yolk colour down her bum fluff so cleaned her up, could not see a soft shell in coop when picked up the poop

she smells little eggy poor girl

what is happening as this is the 3rd time it has happened in a row, have got oysters in a pot in coop
just getting really worried

Are you feeding layer feed to her as well? They can suffer from reproductive disorders which can cause egg shell problems. Some hens who have been exposed to infectious bronchitis virus, a respiratory disease, can have this problem. Infection could be a problem, since she has done this a few times. Fish mox amoxicillin sometimes can be found in feed stores and online. That could help treat a reproductive infection. Dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice daily for 7-10 days. Check to see if your crushed oyster shell is fine enough, or if she is taking it. Right now, you capould give her a human calcium tablet or Tums daily for several days.

I would also clean up her vent with soap and water, and any egg matter in the nest box, since flies and maggots can be a problem.

She kept doing soft shelled eggs for a good week and more, every other day she would try do an egg we tried human calcium tablet crushed and put in with wet mash, also made sure she was eating her oyster shells and clean layer pellets

Took her to vets no infection as temperature ok - they think it just stress and trauma from losing her friend and other than us to see her she was in coop and run on own, when we let her out she would run around the plot and see our big girls in there run and try pecky order with them so did have some chickens to see
We ended up finding her a new home (hard to do as we love her, just better she has more of her own kind to be around) with other little bantams - silkies - have been told in an update that after a week with them she started to lay good eggs again

Not sure if yours is with other chickens? - could try moving things around - see if needs a change of scenery , good to get her checked incase of a infection, I also kept her bum area clean using wipes and a dog/ cat nit comb with metal prongs from ebay

Back
Top Bottom