Young bantams

Boydmoore

Hatching
Feb 5, 2021
I have had chickens on and off for over 40 years. At one time I had over a hundred layers that get me quite busy. But I have never raised bantams. At three and a half weeks old, they are almost completely feathered out and they don't seem to enjoy the brooder heater as much. They are quite Lively and some of them are even flying in the brooder. My question is, how soon will they be ready to go outside and take the cooler weather?

Got no idea. At the feed store they were just listed as mixed breed straight run.

Got no idea. At the feed store they were just listed as mixed breed straight run.
Maybe these will help...
20210228_072906.jpg
20210228_073147.jpg
20210228_073120.jpg

I believe you will enjoy your bantams as I have for over a half century. As you noted, they generally mature a bit faster than larger breeds and the Old English Game bantam roosters that I have owned generally began trying to crow at 6 weeks of age, including my Little Buck pictured below. My last few broods of bantams have been moved to their coops at around three weeks of age and done fine. Good luck.

Attachments

• Red Pyle Bantam Rooster (12-29-19).jpg
    Red Pyle Bantam Rooster (12-29-19).jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Red Pyle Bantam Rooster & his lady friends (12-29-19).jpg
    Red Pyle Bantam Rooster & his lady friends (12-29-19).jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 3
And it appears that you have at least two OEGB's sitting on your roosts, including a Red Pyle. And the other one sitting on the roost is a buff cochin. You'll enjoy those.

Back
Top Bottom