Young hens not laying...Why?

Dancingfire

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
Maine
I have six Buffs that are 11 months old (they have a rooster.I only have 3...sometimes 4 that are laying.I got them a little over a month ago...I was told they were all laying.I thought maybe the move stressed them out .But like I say it has been over a month why arent all of them laying and what can I do to encourage them to lay.The 3 that are seem to all lay in the same box.I feed a good laying mash.and some scratch they also get grass and table scraps and I feed them broken up egg shell crushed into little bits.Thanks in advance for your help...

They might not be use to their new home yet. I feed oyster shell vs the crushed egg shell with the layer feed. I've read in a few places that crushed egg shell is not enough calcium. I really don't know though. I'd also be afraid of them eating eggs if they ate crushed shell.

You could feed them extra protein like hard boiled eggs, dried oats or sunflower seeds. I also sprout alfalfa seeds for my hens and it really makes the yolks orange. We sprout alfalfa for ourselves too, they taste great in salads.

Give them time to adjust. Put a golf ball or two in the nest, so they know that's where they lay.

At 11 months they should be strong layers, but will not lay under stress or if they are lacking protein or have worms. You might want to worm them just in case.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you Nicole,I appreciate it.I am not sure if they have ever been wormed.What is a good wormer to use?

Back
Top Bottom