Young peacocks trembling and shaking

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
I have two young 4 1/2 month old males that I havent put outside due to their young age and our extreme temps lately.

Therefore they are inside, I have been keeping their huge brooder box really clean but I know they are probably lacking protein. They are extremely picky eaters and only want feed. Due to lack of funds lately I have been giving everyone all purpose chicken feed, which I just now realize is probably not enuff protein for them. Maybe ok if freeranging but not for my inside birdies. My silkies not seeming to do so well either on it.

This last week they have developed symptoms of watery poo and shaking/trembling. I thought it might be cocci and have been dosing them with Corid this last 5 days in their water, one seemed to get better but is shaking again.

Could this due be to lack of protein? I will get some crickets today if anyone thinks this is a protein problem. Or are they sick sick and I need to do something else? I tried every type of protein I could think of and these guys are super particular. Wont eat mash, cant get them to peck at water with Kaytee's, only thing they want for a treat is cheese, goofy babies. Tried catfood, etc. My OTHER peababies grew up with guineas and would try anything I put out for them at least once, so I never had a prob with them not getting enuff nutrition. sigh...

Ideas?

Last edited:
I can't help you with the shaking issue, but for protein, have you tried hard boiled eggs? Mealworms or crickets might attract them since they would be moving. If you ever get mealworms and don't get the 'giant' worms, you can put some in a ventilated box with some cereal and they'll reproduce so you could always have some on hand instead of buying them. If the Silkies aren't doing well on the food either, are you sure there isn't a problem with it?

My little one is 5 months old and is doing ok outside, but if they are used to being in where it's warmer, and until you figure out what is going on I wouldn't put them out.

Yea, I didnt get my pen finished til mid December and they didnt get a chance to get acclimated to the cool temps.
sad.png
Its not necessarily bad food, all my freerangers do ok on it but they are able to supplement. I am thinking lack of protein, or the food has lots of filler. Its the only chicken food carried around here, Country Lane. The game bird seems to be good but the all purpose or layer must be crap.

The game bird has went to $12.99 a bag and all my birds prefer it, even the laying hens, as opposed to $8.99 but I can see I need to break down and buy the more expensive for my babies. Just times are a bit hard right now.

Quote:
I can only get Agway feeds and they cost $14.99 for layer feed and $15.99 for game starter. I buy both along with cracked corn ($12.99 for 50lb bag). When inside the house I did add vitamins to the their water. I gave mealworms as a treat and still do, I give them both the giant ones(say not to refrigerate) and small ones (for chickens). I do order mine off Ebay, but the giant ones I get at petsmart or petco. I do add Cat food to the feed once a week. I bought a big bag for about $11 with 34% protein, it's Purina cat chow blue bag. I put in 2-3 cups added to the feed, but I have a lot of birds LOL I wish my feed could be $13
wink.png

How long has it been sence ya wormed them?
Do they have access to grit?
My peas are almost 6 months old and they eat everything including dirty shavings, they have all kinds of good thing availabe to eat, but no they eat dirty stuff so i make sure i worm them every 6 weeks with safeguard.
peas1212.jpg

I wormed them about five weeks ago with Ivermectin so it shouldnt be that. I have been putting them outside on grass when its over 40 degrees but it hasnt been over 40 now for also about 5 weeks.

My bags are 40 lbs at 12.99 as opposed to 50 so prob it runs close. Eeeeeks at $16. I usually supplement most of my birds with eggs and goodies, etc but out of my 25 chickens I am only getting one egg a day. Most of my birds freerange every day when there is not snow but they wont go out of their house with this crap on the ground. My older peas and guineas totally freerange 24/7.

Gonna get some store bought eggs and scramble, they do eat that come to think on it, but it LOOKS like cheese.
lol.png
Will mix in some goodies and also have hubby buy some crickets in town today. I KNOW that would make everyone happy, yippeee bugs! blecht!

My poor guineas are outside holding up one foot then the other. Finally caught my older peas boys and put them in the garage til the -15 below windchills are over later this week as their poor lil feet are in bad shape. Eeeesh I hate this weather but at least its nothing like last winter. They roost in the pole barn normally but I think they are actually glad for the few days break in a slightly warmer area! They sure hate walking in the snow. No one seems to have frostbite except my bs young peahen has been limping. No catching her tho, didnt raise her from a baby and she wont let me close enuff to check her out real well.
sad.png

I do love my peababies and try to take good care of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom