Young peafowl with broken wing

Poultrylady2022

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
I have a young peafowl, around 5 months old, that has broken its wing. It landed on the wing wrong after jumping and it is definitely broken. It was holding the wing real low and could not move it. There is actually a small hole in the skin, although I’m not sure if the bone came through that hole or not but it was bleeding. I trimmed the feathers to try to take some of the weight off and wrapped the wing, but what else should I do? I do not have an avian vet nearby so I’m this poor guys best hope. I only had an ace bandage to wrap with at the time but I have since gotten some vet wrap so I plan to rewrap it. This is probably a dumb question but should I try to clean the blood off when I rewrap? Should I give him antibiotics? If so what kind? Is there any chance of this healing? Also, since I’ve wrapped it, he’s not walking around or anything and when he tries he seems to be off balance. Could that be because the wing is wrapped? I want to do everything in my power to try to help him. Thanks for any help.

I have a young peafowl, around 5 months old, that has broken its wing. It landed on the wing wrong after jumping and it is definitely broken. It was holding the wing real low and could not move it. There is actually a small hole in the skin, although I’m not sure if the bone came through that hole or not but it was bleeding. I trimmed the feathers to try to take some of the weight off and wrapped the wing, but what else should I do? I do not have an avian vet nearby so I’m this poor guys best hope. I only had an ace bandage to wrap with at the time but I have since gotten some vet wrap so I plan to rewrap it. This is probably a dumb question but should I try to clean the blood off when I rewrap? Should I give him antibiotics? If so what kind? Is there any chance of this healing? Also, since I’ve wrapped it, he’s not walking around or anything and when he tries he seems to be off balance. Could that be because the wing is wrapped? I want to do everything in my power to try to help him. Thanks for any help!
@Tookie

Back
Top Bottom