Young pullet with broken fibula

Ashmarie621

Songster
Jul 16, 2020
We found our sweet little buff Orpington in the coop just laying down. She’s not a layer yet, but more than a few months old. Upon investigation her leg was just dangling. She doesn’t move it, it’s totally limp. She’s also pretty calm about it which is odd. I felt around the leg and it feels totally broken in half up on her fibula. Makes a clicking when I move it. I thought it was the femur, but now with a diagram I think it’s the fibula. It’s the long bone above the other long bone attached to her foot. No outward cuts, doesn’t seem swollen. I tried to make a split for her with a couple popsicle sticks, some tape and some vet wrap. I had to pull the two pieces sort of apart and stretch the leg to get the splint on, because it seemed like each piece was just sliding to the side of the other if that makes sense. Not sure if I got the pieces lined up or not, but I did my best. I’ve read on here that I have to immobilize the joints above and below for it to work but I don’t quite understand how to do that, especially the higher hip area. Should the lower part of her leg be splinted also, so it’s one straight long leg extended? Right now it’s just the middle part where the break is. She’s in a crate near other chickens, laying down, eating well, drinking water with electrolytes and vitamins, pooping a ton. We clean her up each day to get the poop away from her. She’s alert and seems calm. Is this goi g to help her at all? What can I do differently? Am I wasting our time? I don’t want to make her suffer :( any advice is appreciated!

Poor girl!
The splinting manual below may be helpful.
You may also want to try placing her in a sling for short, supervised periods of time during the day to get her upright as well.
Hopefully the leg can be mended, and she can get around.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Thank you! Yes, I changed the splint today to add some gauze on her skin before the sticks. Maybe in a few days I’ll try the sling. Still feels pretty loose today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom