Young Rescue Turkey Hen in Trouble

Stewarts

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
PEI, Canada
We have a rescued turkey hen who is laying, we've had her for a month and a quarter. She was abused and left to starve by her owners and was sitting on three eggs for about three weeks and barely eating ,according to friends of ours who had her in their yard. We brought her home and isolated her in a large prepared dog cage that was enclosed with tarp to protect her. I let her have her eggs for two days {she was eating proper food} until I found one broken and bad so I took the other two away. One was also bad, the other had a dead full grown turkey chick in it.

She is still in poor condition but better than she was. Her feathers are finally growing back in, she has been gaining a little weight but not by much in the past month; she's at the point where she is no longer longer totally scraggly. She has a healthy appetite; I am sprouting whole barely and have given some to them in their treats but no over doing it.

She was in the coup with two other turkeys and my chickens, all grown and all healthy birds, but she was being picked on along with my meat chicken so we took them out of the coup and put up a palette area with tarp on the floor and lots of straw, in the spare room of the house. Literally the ONLY place we have to put them! Sweet Pea and Henny, the meat chicken, have been in there and all has been well for the past two weeks, they get along well.

I suspect she ate some unsprouted barely seed that I have been trying to grow, I just started adding very weak amounts of plant food to the water and soaking it a few minutes then pour it off to keep the nutrition up for the sprouts. I don't feed this to my birds but she may have accidentally gotten some. I don't know if it will pass through her system or what will happen. Henny ate some of the same but she appears to be fine, this happen yesterday so this just happened this morning.

Sweet Pea is very alert, she can stand ok and her head is stationary when she walks, she just can't walk straight and has to sit down. She is very curious as to what I was doing in the spare room as she considers that area as hers; I was cleaning up and bleaching. She drinks readily and I have SuperBoost in the water; she's on medicated turkey feed. I don't know what else to do except wait. She had normal droppings and the urine is whitish. Her feed consists of medication turkey grower, a little corn, oyster shell, rolled barely. I have to add chick finisher because of Henny but this is what they've been eating for over a month and both are fine. I have read that when it comes to the feed between chickens and turkeys, consider the turkey feed first. Chickens seem to be stronger birds.

Later tonight - she seems to be recovering, at least she isn't as bad as she was but still very unsteady on her feet. Her poop is mustard color.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stewarts

Thank you for answering.

I checked out the Blackhead Threads this morning. Hubby figured out 1/4 tsp of Cayenne to 1.5 liters of water and food for one turkey.
Sweet Pea is still with us although she is still wobbly on her feet. I will add this to her feed and water immediately.
If anyone has any more advice or thinks I should be adding more for this small turkey, please let me know ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom