Young rooster got attacked by hawk (trachea injured)

I had a rooster who got snatched by a fox, his entire leg gone ! His whole left leg! Completely gone a huge hole. I freaked out but no vet was open, near me as I am in the country. I used horse medication on him that was in the shed and I wrapped his entire body in a bandage so he wouldn't try to move at all in case his organs fell out or something! Gross.. the next day he was alive surprisingly, so I kept him wrapped up tight so his skin where his leg was gone was overlapping (bit hopeful it would heal over). I fed him and cuddled him for a month straight everyday until I decided to remove the bandage, his leg hole had closed up with a huge scab in it's place. A month later he was hopping around on one foot with the best balance I've ever seen. I think if he could survive an entire amputation, your little guy can do it too!
Great story...love happy endings! Amazing he could get around on one leg...that's something you don't hear about often.
I had a chicken that damaged the nerves in her leg, one was completely dead... and she could not stand at all. I had to pick her up and move her out of her poop several times a day. After 2 months I was about to give up. It seemed hopeless as I moved her and her food and water to a different spot each time but then she started to move a little by herself in the grass and then one day she fully recovered.

Great story...love happy endings! Amazing he could get around on one leg...that's something you don't hear about often.
I had a chicken that damaged the nerves in her leg, one was completely dead... and she could not stand at all. I had to pick her up and move her out of her poop several times a day. After 2 months I was about to give up. It seemed hopeless as I moved her and her food and water to a different spot each time but then she started to move a little by herself in the grass and then one day she fully recovered.
I hear about it all the time. Apparently chickens have innate skills of hopping around on one foot?

Back
Top Bottom