Young turkey not thriving

rwilliams296

Songster
Mar 5, 2018
I have 2 Royal Palm turkey poults. They are 4 months old now. A month ago I thought I had 2 toms. Not so sure now. The one that I am sure is a tom is thriving and doing well. Strutting and looking great. The other came down sick about 10 days ago. Yellow droppings, pale and lethargic. Concerned it has blackhead disease. I isolated it for a few days in a dog kennel and did all I could do for it, added cayenne pepper to the food and water. I understand there is no commercial medicine available for blackhead disease and had to try something. Anyway, had consigned myself that I would go out every morning since and find it deceased. It's health seemed to be turning round. Now not sure it has blackhead disease. Poop did change from yellow and diarrhea to normal for a few days then I noticed this morning that it was back to yellow and back to diarrhea this afternoon. Eating and drinking just fine. Poor thing seems to have no energy and wants to sleep alot. I sure would like some advice if anyone has experienced this. Thanks

I have been through this many times with poults and peachicks.

First I have to ask if they are they pets or will you be eating them? If pets you could try treating with Baytril, metronidazole, and Safeguard.

Do you have a food scale to weigh the stick one on daily?

I have been through this many times with poults and peachicks.

First I have to ask if they are they pets or will you be eating them? If pets you could try treating with Baytril, metronidazole, and Safeguard.

Do you have a food scale to weigh the stick one on daily?
Pets only. I do not have a food scale. I can sure invest in one. The last time I picked the poult up by hand it vomited water. Probably stress. I do live in TX and the temps have been in the 90's so I'm sure that isn't helping. I guess i need to research these products and how to administer. I really want it to feel better and get back to running and flying and doing turkey things. Thanks

Wow.. I would like to use the Safeguard if possible. I have 5 goats as well. They hardly ever mix with the turkeys or chickens tho. Expecting kids soon. Thanks so much!
To treat the cecal work you want to give 0.23 ml per pound of bodyweight once and repeat in 10 days. Note that this dose is much higher than what goats get.

Thanks for your response. I couldn't find Safe Guard at my local feed store or closest Tractor Supply so I ordered from Amazon. It is on the way. Unfortunately, the poult passed away Thursday evening. I am heartbroken...but I still have the one healthy tom and I will be watching him closely and will be prepared. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom