In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 10, 2012
Northern MN
Your Homemade Feed Recipe PLS
If everyone would put there recipe on here it would help new and old people
I really hope you help me out and post it here to share

Thank you Paul

I want to see homemade feeds too! I sortof have a half recipe. I mix a quart of purina layena pellets with a half cup or so of black oil sunflower seeds, a tablespoon or so of milled flax seed, and a cup or so of tucker mills rabbit food (its darker than manna-pro rabbit food and they eat it) and sometimes for fun I throw in some goat food. They get that off the ground from whatever the goats spill anyway.
That's usually their breakfast and supper on warmer nights, during really cold nights they just get some scratch and treats.
Then sometimes I'll make some oatmeal or grits with strawberries or other fruit/bread in it. Plus during milking season they LOVE a bit of fresh goat milk in a bowl.

I know about lions grip but I also know that there are more then just them
I would like to see what other breeders are using for bantam and standard breeds and chick feed
or dose everyone just buy commercial feed if so what brand is the best
Thanks for the replys

I never buy commercial food. My chickens are totally free range during the day, so they find most of their own food.

I supplement their diet with the following,

Dry rice,
Kitchen leftovers and scraps - veg, cooked rice, potato, herbs, peelings, etc etc,
Any fresh vegetable that I have surplus off from the garden.

Young chicks will also get hard boiled egg mashed up into crumbs and sometimes mixed with stale bread.
Left over egg shells from the kitchen are also throw around on the ground for any chickens to eat.

I have a mealworm 'farm' too, and they get the worms about 3 times a week as treats.

I'm currently trying to decide what to include in my homemade feed mix. Harvey Ussery suggest, in his book "The Small-Scale Poultry Flock", to include either aragonite or limestone to increase calcium availability. I bought two products made by Espoma, organic, Garden Lime and organic Garden Kelp. The lime states that it is all natural & pelletized, about the size of a red lentil--only round--and that it is safer than hydrated lime. The kelp is a bit larger but no much.

If anyone knows if these products would be safe in feed, please share with me. I'm also looking for a low tech method of grind grains for a micro flock of six. I have an old fashion iron grinder that I've used for making ham salad; will this work or will it be too labor intensive?

Thanks for reading this post!

Back
Top Bottom