Your quietest birds?

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
For health reasons, I had to get rid of my 4 girls early in January, due to Covid, my recovery has been much slower than anticipated. Need one more procedure (on hold) & then I should be able to have birds again. One thing I would like to look at is noise reduction. I know it is by individual bird, but I would like to know, of your flock, what breeds are the least noisy ones. Also, if you have Bantams, are they quieter than LF? Also considering that. In my city, urban chickens are not allowed, but my neighbors previously were cool. Just want to keep the noise level down. Thank you in advance. Previously, my Olive Egger was the loudest chicken I ever had & my Wyandotte was the quietest.

I would say either a standard Pheonix or a bantam white faced Spanish have been my quietest. All my other birds literally scream at me. Though I also have a Pheonix that screams if she thinks she has my attention. My silkies ironically were some of the loudest hens I had

When I had birds a few years ago, my Rhode island reds were just about silent unless I was given them treats. The others I had all spoke constantly ( Plymoth rock, orpington) This time around I am starting with 4 different kinds and who knows what will happen. LOL I think its more about personality and luck of the draw than it is breed specific.

Salmon Faverolles. Hands down the most chilled out chicks/birds we’ve ever had. We’ve had them from 2 sources. We got rid of all of them bc they were not a good fit for our flock that includes males. They were waaaay overmated bc they were so mild mannered. Not low in pecking order, just very mild. Can’t think of them making noise really. They were fine to be held. They are fluffy and quite attractive. They lay cream colored eggs, and ours laid several per week.

On the other end, leghorns have been the loudest. Within several of our other breeds, there always seems to be a talkative/opinionated one in the bunch.

Buff Orpingtons get high regards on BYC for personality (calm). We have some Buff Orps this year, but they are only 8 weeks, so I can’t say much about their noise level.

Back
Top Bottom