Mosquitoes!

craftyredhead

Chirping
9 Years
May 6, 2014
Bonham, Tx
Hi! We've got a small 50sqft hen house for our laying hens, and lately every time we open the main door or the nest box hatches we get attacked by a small cloud of mosquitos. I make my own soap, so I have a ton of essential oils on hand, and I know that quite a few repel mosquitoes, but I don't know which ones are safe to be around chickens and a turkey.
I'm open to any other way to get rid of the mosquitoes as well, but we do prefer to stay pretty natural here. Thanks for your help!

Correct me if i am wrong, but aren't essential oils made from natural ingredients? I make candles and i think that fragrance oils are not made from natural ingredients(unsafe around chickens) and essential oils are made from natural ingredients(safe to use around chickens).

Hey waddles! I know some oils aren't good around certain animals/people, like peppermint oil isn't recommended around pregnant women, etc. I wasn't sure if there were any that chickens might react badly to.
Thanks redbeard, I'll look at that!

Hey waddles! I know some oils aren't good around certain animals/people, like peppermint oil isn't recommended around pregnant women, etc. I wasn't sure if there were any that chickens might react badly to.
Thanks redbeard, I'll look at that!

Yeah, i wasn't sure about that one. I think redbeard has a good idea. I was also going to also suggest horse fly spray, but that fan idea looks better.

Funny, just had the same issue.

I ran a leaf blower almost every time I entered the coop for a while...

First time this was ever an issue.

My guess is that the conditions were perfect for the mosquitoes this year...

'Essential' oils, fragrances, can be irritating to the respiratory system, they are to mine anyway....and they don't always keep the skeeters away.
I imagine that using enough to effect the insects, could likely bother the chickens.

Just cause it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's not toxic.

Last edited:
Exactly, that's why I wanted to ask you experts!
smile.png
You could try some in just one nest...see if the girls will go in there, and if the skeeters stay out.

Back
Top Bottom