Looking for Livestock Guard Dog

hermitthrush

Hatching
May 2, 2016
Can anyone suggest a breeder of LGDs in upstate NY who doesn't charge champion show dog prices?
We've never bought a dog from a breeder... My wife has had dogs all of her life, and in our 30 years of marriage, we've had 3 dogs who showed up and adopted us, and we've adopted our other three dogs from animal shelters. We own over 400 acres. None of our dogs have ever been hit by cars or run away. All of our dogs have lived to be at least 11 (most of them, 13 or more). All of our dogs have been between 40 and 90 lbs. Our 90lb shepherd mix LGD who showed up at our farm 13 years ago when he was about a year old, died about a year ago.
After a coyote killed three chickens a month ago, we decided that we needed to get another big outdoor dog, The National Great Pyrineese Rescue had a young Great Pry mix in foster care less than an hour from our home.
We were shocked when they rejected our adoption request. We told them that we would walk the dog off leash on our own property, and that killed the deal. They don't want their dogs doing the work that they have been bred to do for hundreds or even thousands of years. They want their dogs to live indoors in suburban homes with fenced back yards, and they don't want their dogs to ever be off leash outside of that fenced in quarter acre backyard. They think the dogs will run off if they are off leash ... If the dog is cooped up indoors all day, and it never is off leash outside of a tiny fenced backyard, or course it will run off when it gets a chance! That's because the breed has been bred to be outdoors and free ALL OF THE TIME. The dogs are bred to stay with their flocks roaming tens or hundreds of acres, not stay indoors, with little daily outings into a tiny backyard.
We were shocked that this organization doesn't seem to have any understanding at all of the breed they are dedicated to. We were shocked that they would rather have us go buy a dog from a breeder, and let a Great Pry somewhere in a shelter be euthanized. They wouldn't let us adopt one of their mixed breed dogs (for $475) so that they could rescue another Great Pry and put him into the foster home vacancy that we could have created. I can't imagine what their mission statement says, but they seem to be extremely misguided.
Since we weren't allowed to adopt the 18 month old dog we wanted, we still don't have an LGD, and the coyote came back and killed 3 more chickens today (between 2 and 3PM). It killed Monkie, Beth and another hen. There were a whole lot of Puffball's feathers inside the barn and outside, but it didn't get her. Chickens can sometimes survive a hawk attack, but if a chicken is losing feathers in a coyote attack, the chicken never escapes... unless a person, a dog or a very very brave rooster saves her. Monkie (7 years old) must have attacked that huge coyote (50-60 lbs, we saw him later when he tried to get more) with everything he had, and he saved his beloved Puffball. The feathers at the scene show that he was trying to save Beth as well when he was killed. Maybe some would say that he was only a rooster, but he is our hero, and he is Puffball's hero, and we will never forget him.
Afterwards, we went out with a gun and our 50 lb indoor boxer mix (not an LGD!), Withing a few hundred yards of the barn, she spotted something and took off after it with me taking off after her. Shortly after taking off, she hollered and came back to me with her rear end bleeding. She just isn't bred to be able to intimidate predators.
It seems that all the dogs in the shelters are pit bulls or hounds. We need something with lots of fur and lots of size, that isn't bred to follow its nose for miles on end. So, for the first time in our lives, we are looking for a breeder of LGDs (upstate NY, not too pricey), so we can purchase a puppy or two that we can train to be guardians for our flocks of beloved chickens.

Great Pyrenees are wanderers......they will go until they find a boundary. No Great Pyrenees rescue that I know of will adopt out a GP to anyone without a fence. With good reason. They show up at shelters around here all the time because someone with acreage thought the dog would stay put and not wander far. Most of the time they get reclaimed by owner. Sometimes they don't and if they are lucky get put in rescue. It sounds to me (I own two GP's) as if a GP would be a good fit for you but please make sure you read everything you can about the breed. They are not like other dogs and I can't say that enough times. They are independent thinkers because they were bred for hundreds of years to work fields totally alone. Right now in our area (VA/WV) any place that lists ads for livestock(and especially Craig's List) is full of ads for Pyrenees puppies. Lots of farmers that use GP's many times breed their working dogs. Look around in your area. Also watch area shelters. GP's show up there more than people realize and aren't always reclaimed. I would get two if you find some. Not much if anything can get past two GP's. Good luck. :)

Just wanted to say also that I am sympathetic and didn't mean to sound as if I am not. We went through the same thing when we tried to adopt our first Pyr. No fence, no dog. We found our own dog as a rehome. No fence, we discovered rather quickly that a Pyr must have a fence/boundary of some kind and that the rescues did know what they were talking about. We also found our second Pyr as a rehome because the 4 foot fence they had for him was simply not working and he was roaming far and wide. I wouldn't take anything for either of my Pyrs. :)

Coyotes are not terribly difficult to trap. Especially ones who are coming in areas near humans. Go on YouTube and watch some videos on trapping coyotes and snaring coyotes. I promise you can become very proficient, very quickly by paying strict attention to the instructions.

You should kill this killer at the first opportunity! He will most certainly return to the scene of a previous meal.

Back
Top Bottom