Is it normal for an internal pip on day 25? and how much longer till they hatch?

aegg

In the Brooder
May 3, 2016
I've got 5 cayuga eggs in the incubator and today is day 25. Anyways, I did a final candling before going into lockdown and noticed two have internally pipped already. They aren't chirping yet and they aren't rocking. Now that they have internally pipped how long will it take for them to start chirping and rocking? Also, when will they fully hatch? Thank you!

Higher temperatures cause faster hatches. If it is only a couple and the rest hatch later, they could have been started by the hen before you put them in the incubator. I have had this happen before when we discover a hidden nest and we are not sure how long the eggs had been there. Ducks are clever when it comes to hiding eggs.

No external pip yet (which is a little worrying) but four of the five are chirping and rocking, so I guess all is good so far.

Well good news and possible bad news. We had our first baby pop out this morning and he/she is absolutely covered in egg junk. I've read you can fi this with some warm water, but he/she also hasn't closed up the area where it absorbs the yolk sack. Let me be clear, the yolk sack has been absorbed, but there's this disk like thing that was bleeding for a little bit. It's not bleeding anymore, and the duck is chirping and alive. He/she has been trying to stand up but the gunk is covering it's eyes. SHould I try washing it or waiting till the thing is fully absorbed.

A few hours later and this little one is just running around and having a great time. All fluffed out and seems very healthy. I don't think there is any problem anymore, now to wait for the rest. Also the egg I thought might have quit has just recently piped looks like there's a chance of all five hatching
wee.gif

That's great!

I thought I replied earlier, but it's been one of those days! The disc is kinda normal. What you don't want is the duckling to come out full of energy with its shell still attached via the cord!

I watched in horror once as a duckling took the bottom half of his shell on a grand tour of the bator. All over the other eggs, he got it stuck on the thermometer.. The works. All I could think was this guy is going to rip that thing out of his stomach and bleed out!

Funny thing, he set down after a few minutes next to an egg which ended being the next to hatch. They just snuggled together for a few hours and he was fine.

Baby's are crazy, I wouldn't be surprised if this little guy keeps me awake all night. Maybe it'll get better when the others are out and ready to join him but for now he wants to spend every minute with me, which was great at first I mean who doesn't love ducky love. After a few hours not so cute... She/ he is quite the talker.

Another just hatched! I hadn't even noticed he had zipped until a couple minutes before his hatch. He's full of energy and I'm keeping him in the 'bator until the morning

Back
Top Bottom