Help Hatching Call Ducks

Yes, good luck to you, too! šŸ’› My temp was always 99.5 and my humidity was 50% until day 23, and then 70-75%. I just canā€™t tell if that other one pipped internally and canā€™t get a good enough picture to share. There is a little shadow near the bottom of the air sac, but itā€™s not much. The air sac is large now.
Probably not internally pipped yet, the one that you see just shadowing. But sounds like itā€™s definitely drawing down into the fat end of the egg.

Not sure where you are located (or where the eggs came from), but I never run call duck eggs that humid prior to lockdown. 50% would drown all of mine, as itā€™s very humid where I live, so I run without any water at all until the last 3 days. You may also want to check and see if your temperature is accurate against a tested thermometer. Not trying to be critical, but minor adjustments may help.
Thereā€™s a Red link in my signature block below about Humidity, might be helpful to you.

Probably not internally pipped yet, the one that you see just shadowing. But sounds like itā€™s definitely drawing down into the fat end of the egg.

Not sure where you are located (or where the eggs came from), but I never run call duck eggs that humid prior to lockdown. 50% would drown all of mine, as itā€™s very humid where I live, so I run without any water at all until the last 3 days. You may also want to check and see if your temperature is accurate against a tested thermometer. Not trying to be critical, but minor adjustments may help.
Thereā€™s a Red link in my signature block below about Humidity, might be helpful to you.
I went by the instructions that came with the eggs. Iā€™m in Massachusetts. Not taken critically at all. Iā€™m always looking to improve. I have an extra thermometer in there, as well and they both match up. Same with humidity. Iā€™ll check out your link! On that other egg, I hear a lot of pecking.

Welcome Puddles! He unzipped and popped right out, but he still has some yolk to absorb. How long can he be in the incubator absorbing it, if it goes past 24 hours? Also, the other egg finally pipped internally! I put a safety hole in because I think it had been a while as he was so close to the shell. I think I see his foot over his head when I candles last. My Khaki Campbell had that malposition, but he externally pipped the wrong end too so all of this is so different.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpeg
    IMG_1225.jpeg
    504.5 KB · Views: 4
I would think the yolk will be absorbed before 24 hrs. Just keep him where he can't drag it and catch it on something.

Welcome Little Puddles ā™„ļø
Thank you! I have him in a Dixie cup in the bottom half of his shell, so he canā€™t move around and detach it or hurt it. I think it should be absorbed by then too, but I always wonder about the what-ifs. Haha!

Thank you. Iā€™m sorry about your little one too. Itā€™s hard. I have my five week old Khaki Campbell (the same thing happened and he was the only hatchling) in a brooder inside and right next to the brooder for Puddles. Iā€™m hoping in time, they become friends and give each other the company they need. Meanwhile, Iā€™ve been looking for call ducklings for sale. I havenā€™t had much luck. Theyā€™ve got mirrors, and we visit the other ducks and chickens (when theyā€™re in their runs and we are outside of them) too. Trying my best to keep them socialized until they can also go outside in a different run. (I have a drake and the khaki eggs were my own, so thereā€™s no way he can go in there.) But thank you all for all the advice and support. This community is the best. šŸ’›

Thats great they can be together but Puddles get time to gain strength so strength. I bet eventually they will be best friendsā™„ļø donā€™t forget pictures we love them.
Thank you itā€™s hard to lose them when so close to hatching. :hugs

Congrats on adorable little Puddles! It shouldnā€™t take long for Puddes and your KC to become friends, especially if they are the only ducklings. We Need a new, fluffed up pic when you get a chance! Canā€™t tell what color she is.

Itā€™s been a long time since I hatched ducks other than calls, but almost all of my calls hatch with a foot over their head. I donā€™t consider that a malposition.

Back
Top Bottom