Baby turkey came to live with us

mermaiden

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Alabama
So, a little turkey just shows up at my house out of the blue last week, trying to get into the chicken coop. Seriously.

She's just a young thing, but she was all alone and somehow found my coop. She must have heard them. My husband found her trying to get to them! Once he caught her, we put her in and put her in a kennel to cool off after we hydrated her (poor thing was so thirsty). She's still too little/young to go in the coop so he has built her a nice, big cage that she can live in, in our basement for now, until she grows up enough to introduce to the flock. (And not to worry, if anything goes wrong there, I always have a friend who could take her but we sure hope integration goes well.)

I suspect that she's not fully wild, as there is a (mostly?) loose, roaming flock that (lives?) several blocks away, but who can say for sure? I suppose it's also possible that she could be wild. If she's from there, I just don't know how the poor little thing made it all the way up here through traffic. She'd had to have crossed quite a busy street, and come past all the dogs, cats and hawks, and who knows what else. Nope, I'm not taking her down there, I said. She was begging to come live with us, LOL! At any rate I am mystified, but rather excited to have the little bird.

She is eating, drinking, and her chirp sounds have changed, calmed down, after the first day. I think she was still calling for her kind (peep-peep-peep-peep-peep-peep-!). She is still a bit skittish of us at first and makes that defensive hissing sound when you go near her, but it's easy to win her over with crickets, we've found. So I think she's happy overall. Well until tonight when she seemed bored; he said she was dragging her beak along the side of the cage. I discovered some great threads on the Turkey board here (HAH, now there's a place I never thought I'd find myself) and think I discovered why! I've set up some nice, big mirrors for her to enjoy and not feel so lonely. She was very intrigued! One is full-length so even when she's on the roosting poles (and she does get on them!) she won't feel alone.

And that's my Turkey tale of the week.

She may belong to someone. You should at least make an attempt to find the owner. Last night at dusk when I went to close up, one of my poults was missing. I looked high and low, but no sign of him. He did not reappear this morning, and my one thought now, besides him being eaten by a predator, is that maybe beyond all hope he went to a neighbors and might still be alive. I'm pretty sad today, because that is just wishful thinking. But seeing this post gets me thinking there might still be hope.

Yes, we already drove all around the neighborood. No one else owns turkeys. My family and I have both lived in this area for 40+ years so we pretty well knew it already, but we looked around anyway..I do hope you find your little bird. They are very wary and survivalists it would appear. I almost posted a longer elaboration on the potential source where this one wandered off from, but didn't want to detract from the purpose of the post, which was to share the excitement about the new bird. And when I wrote it all out, I almost just didn't post about it at all, so I'll just say that the potential source flock is "wild" meaning they seem to "belong" to someone in a very loose sense of the word, but they are left to roam freely through the residential neighborhood, through traffic, all into anyone's yards, and it's a wonder to me that they are not all dead or killed. I have also since learned that the "owner" sells or gives them away regularly. This one gave herself away. I just can't return her to that, not the way cars race up and down the roadways here.

Let me start over. Hey guys, I have a new turkey! :/

Hi, mermaiden! Oh my goodness, so awesome that you saved her. This world needs more people like you, thank you!!!! Your little turkey is a cutie; I think you'll end up falling in love
2764.png
My daughter and I ended up rescuing a turkey poult from a factory farm and it has been the best experience! I never realized how intelligent and sweet these birds are. Whoever thinks a turkey is "dumb," doesn't know Ginger - she knows her name, plays ball, comes when she's called ... and she's only 2 months old! She's quite spoiled and has to be with us always. Great idea to setup mirrors! Another thing they love are brightly colored bird/parrot toys ... Anything with a bell or "worm like looking things - brightly colored shoelaces from the dollar store are awesome (same with stuffed animals from there!) Keep us updated!!!

Thanks, I am excited, especially now after talking around to some more folks who live around here, and who talked to the other turkey owners. They clip the wings on all theirs so they can't fly. This little gal was not clipped. So I'm calling her wild! The neighbors had been seeing her roaming around for a while in their yards apparently, and didn't realize it was an estranged baby. They were calling "him" George. I said well, I guess her name is apparently going to be Georgie or Georgia or Georgette or such, haha.

We have been taking her outside some on a tether while we're in the yard. At first she calls, and we haven't seen any other birds so I feel better and better about having brought her in now. Guess I was a little worried about that at first, didn't want to get too attached then not be able to keep her. *lol* She has already grown on us in just over a week. Boy does she love crickets and bugs.

Okay, I am definitely making a stop by the pet store this weekend. Thanks for the tips!

Haha Well, I definitely think Georgie/Georgia has found his/her forever home and mom!
1f60a.png
What a lucky turkey!!! I'll share with you a photo of two of Ginger's

absolute favorite toys ... The one on the left is a parrot toy from PetSmart and the one on the right is from the baby toy aisle from Walmart. Oh my goodness!!! She LOVES that one!
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
Happy 4th
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
and keep us posted on your new cutie!

So does anyone keep their turkey inside long term? My grandma kept two chickens in box for years. She was meticulous about cleaning and eventually they went to a farm. I'm just curious how long people keep these guys inside. If I could consistently potty train them I'd just let them in and out with the dogs!

I only kept mine inside for two weeks. I wish they could be house turkeys, though. They love snuggling. Grown turkeys poop a lot, especially at night. Even with a diaper the smell would hard to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom