Splotchy Pupils in Black Ameraucanas? Suitable for Breeding?

TheYoungV

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
I happened to come across an old thread where I read that there have been some issues with pupil leakage in some black Ameraucanas and that got me thinking.... My cockerels have that. We're relatively new to chickens, especially Ameraucanas. I couldn't find much information on the subject but I would like to know more about this. I ordered 4 straight run black Ameraucanas and received all cockerels... Joke's on me! They hatched in April so they're about 20 weeks.

I have 3 left and would like to keep one for breeding in case I decide to do that in the future, and I was thinking of getting a couple of pullets from a breeder who has Lavender, Blue, Buff, Silver and Black Ameraucanas from John Blehm lines.

Is this splotchy pupil thing a problem and does that make them unsuitable for breeding? Please look at the photos and share your thoughts on the eyes as well as their overall structures. Would any of these be suitable for breeding? Also I think they've been doing some sparring and some of their beard and muff feathers may be missing.

There is one in particular that has a pretty V shaped tail and we were thinking that he would probably be the most suitable one to breed because of his looks. He also has the nicest crow. There is another one who in the past few weeks developed a limp. We've checked his feet and legs and haven't seen anything suspicious. He's the nicest of them all and we originally thought he was a pullet because he looked and behaved so differently from the others. I wanted to breed him, but he doesn't really have a V-shaped tail and I don't know what's going on with that limp. But we'll probably keep him as a pet if the limp doesn't improve. At least two of them have the splotchy eyes. Unsure of the third but can check. Also, is nail color anything to worry about? One of them has one white nail while the rest have black.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Last edited:
Good eye color and with well defined round pupils is one of those last traits that some of us have concentrated on, like good blue egg color. Years ago some breeders mistakenly thought there were seeing an ocular disease. Improvements have been made in recent years, but still selective breeding is important to continue with progress.

Good eye color and with well defined round pupils is one of those last traits that some of us have concentrated on, like good blue egg color. Years ago some breeders mistakenly thought there were seeing an ocular disease. Improvements have been made in recent years, but still selective breeding is important to continue with progress. [/quote Thank you very much, John
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom