Stomach Feather Loss

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
I have 2 isa browns and 2 Japanese bantams and all of them are losing their stomach feathers. I know broody hens pull out their stomach feathers (My female bantam has pulled hers out) but why is it happening to my isa browns and rooster?

There are a few things that can cause feather loss:

1) If there's alot of mud in their run, rake out any poop and put some sand down. Dirty feathers don't do a chicken any good.

2) Look and see if they have any lice/mites. If they're all a pain in the butt to catch, look under their roost and see if there are any bugs in the cracks. Some mites will sleep on the roost and come out at night to feed. Sometimes if a chicken has a really bad infestation, you will have mites or lice on you after you hold them. I know from experience. BUT at least chicken lice will only feed on chickens.

3) You might have a feather picking problem. Do you notice any of the hens that are alittle more "bossy" han the others? Sometimes a hen will pick at a roo's feathers "because she loves him soooo much!" Add a little extra protein to their diet by throwing them a handful of mealworms once a day. Since feathers are made up mainly of protein, chickens who don't have enough will pull them out or break them off and eat them.

I hope you figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom