Australorp pullet stopped laying

hahmmy

Chirping
Sep 26, 2016
I have a leghorn, and easter egger, and a black australorp all just 25 weeks old. The EE and the leghorn are laying regularly, little blue eggs from the EE and ENORMOUS eggs from leghorn. Many of hers are still double yolked..I don't know how her slender little self gets them out! :) The australorp laid about 6 eggs very early on about two weeks ago and then stopped and has not laid since. She seems fine and happy, loud and crazy as always. There is probably nothing wrong with her right? Just young?? Any thought appreciated

There is not anything wrong with your bird - she is simply a young bird who is just getting her reproductive system up and running, which often happens in fits and starts. While it is true your other two birds have been more regulated from the start, that is not always the case - in fact, it is more the norm for a bird to go through a period like your australorp is experiencing. Continue providing good nutrition, fresh water and patience and her body will get the hang of what it's meant to do.

There is not anything wrong with your bird - she is simply a young bird who is just getting her reproductive system up and running, which often happens in fits and starts. While it is true your other two birds have been more regulated from the start, that is not always the case - in fact, it is more the norm for a bird to go through a period like your australorp is experiencing. Continue providing good nutrition, fresh water and patience and her body will get the hang of what it's meant to do.
X2

Just wanted to say Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

It looks like you have been given good advice.

Thanks all. She has laid three great eggs this week. This morning i was cleaning up their water and giving them some mealworms..all of a sudden she stopped eating , squatted, and plopped out a thin shelled egg right in the middle if the run! I was laughing hysterically until my EE turned around and stomoed on it! I think it would have been edible when i took it out of the run it seemed thin but ok..till stomped on.

Thanks all. She has laid three great eggs this week. This morning i was cleaning up their water and giving them some mealworms..all of a sudden she stopped eating , squatted, and plopped out a thin shelled egg right in the middle if the run! I was laughing hysterically until my EE turned around and stomoed on it! I think it would have been edible when i took it out of the run it seemed thin but ok..till stomped on.
I'm glad to hear that she is doing better
smile.png

If you haven't done so, offer oyster shell free choice for them.

Yes, she is better. I was wondering about the oyster shell . When I put it in a bowl or dish for them they throw it all over the place. I have just been mixing handfuls of it in with their food in their feeder, they get an organic layer feed from scratch and peck I think it is called? Not sure, but looks like yummy food, grains and a mix of stuff not just pellets. I am not sure that they need that over other types of food but as I have only a few chickens I figure I can afford it so why not. They get grapes, greens, scrambled eggs occasionally, and meal worms as well. So should I put the oyster shell out separately and just let them peck it out of the dirt if they throw it, or keep mixing in food? If so, how much?
Thanks!

Yes, she is better. I was wondering about the oyster shell . When I put it in a bowl or dish for them they throw it all over the place. I have just been mixing handfuls of it in with their food in their feeder, they get an organic layer feed from scratch and peck I think it is called? Not sure, but looks like yummy food, grains and a mix of stuff not just pellets. I am not sure that they need that over other types of food but as I have only a few chickens I figure I can afford it so why not. They get grapes, greens, scrambled eggs occasionally, and meal worms as well. So should I put the oyster shell out separately and just let them peck it out of the dirt if they throw it, or keep mixing in food? If so, how much?
Thanks!
Yes, put the oyster shell out separately (free choice), don't mix it with the feed - they will take what they need. I do have a container that I put mine in, but it gets thrown every which way - so sometimes I just scatter it as well. They will find it.

Sounds like they get some nice goodies
smile.png
Mine love grapes, greens and eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom