Lookers? Maybe?

jsipes

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
We have a 1 year old brown Chinese goose "Sue" that needed a "friend" so she would stop "friending" my feet. (aaawkward) So, we got a gorgeous 2 year old Sebastopol gander "Gus" to be her friend. Well, as geese do they've made a ton of fertile eggs. We've mostly been using the eggs for baking but we decided to go ahead an incubate one. (For now maybe) I'm just wondering... please tell me the gosling is going to be cute, lol. Also, I've heard about sterility issues when cross breeding so I was wondering is anyone knows it that is something that happens with this cross. Truthfully, we would prefer to be able to keep any of their offspring as pets but if they are going to be fertile we will have to sell them.

All goslings are cute!

Yes, they'll be fertile. The only time you'll run into sterility issues is when crossing domestic geese, which derive from the grey lag, to a different species of goose, such as Canada geese. I have one such cross myself and she is sterile. Your babies, however, will be fully fertile.

You don't really need to sell them, though, if you want to keep them as pets. Just use all the eggs for eating and don't hatch any if you don't want more geese.

Last edited:
Update: so far he/she is adorable. Looking more like mom than dad but we are still hoping for some of that Sebastopol fluff.

Oh! And dad is very protective of the little. Mom doesn't care much for him/her though. I'm not sure what's up with that, maybe some jealousy? Is that even possible?
1f605.png

Oh! And dad is very protective of the little. Mom doesn't care much for him/her though. I'm not sure what's up with that, maybe some jealousy? Is that even possible?
1f605.png
My gander was much more hands on after their goslings got bigger. Hands on well you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom