screaming/screeching hen !?!?

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
One of my hens does this terrible screaming/screeching thing when she is upset in anyway (wants out of the run/wants treats/other). Her sister has done it a couple times while the other is already doing it, but none of my other hens do it. Why on earth is she doing this? I's SO SO SO loud, I may as well have a roo. I know she's a hen (she's laying). She's an EE if that has anything to do with it.

And as far as you know, it's nowhere NEAR laying time? Two of mine make a racket when they're near to heading inside to the nest box, or soon after laying an egg. Maybe she's just a loud mouth. Some people are that way...lol!!

It could be their egg song. "Song" is a euphemism. The first time I heard one of mine sing their egg song, I was inside in the bathroom and I ran outside thinking that some predator must have one of my hens in their jaws. It isn't exactly melodious.

Does your hen puff herself up as she screeches? That's more indicative of broody irritability. Several of my hens are doing this right now, but only one is seriously sitting in a nestbox.

I'm pretty much 99% sure she is not broody (I have a broody on eggs right now). She is usually screaming/cackling at me when she is far away from the coop( often as soon as I step out the door from the "people" house). She's a little pushier than my other hens (first to jump right in the food bowl and take over and chases pretty much everything non-chicken out of the yard). I guess she's just a loud-mouthed rascal LOL I'll probably have to re-home her though (I'm in the city in close quarters and have been told to keep my hens as quiet as possible or risk having to get rid of them). Any one want a hen ?

Last edited:
I have an EE pullet that does the same thing. My husband can't stand her constant cackling scream, but it's just who she is. She just walks around part of the day doing that and my rooster just looks at her like "lady, seriously." I just figure she is like one of people that are really loud talkers and don't understand why people ru the other way when they start talking.

I have three EEs, and they're pretty quiet, but they are not the bosses.....Boss lady is a golden buff hybrid! If she's the brassiest, loudest hen, then chances are it's because she's the big mouth boss lady!
lol.png

Hey, somebody's gotta be the boss.....might as well be her!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom