laws in plantation, florida

rocko

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 19, 2010
I checked my local ordinance before my husband set up our coop and I figured we ought to be OK with hens only. Since then two things have happened.

One, my hen started laying now at 6 mo of age and that egg song she does is really loud and quite obviously the sound of a chicken to any of my neighbors. We're on a 1 acre lot, but in the type of neighborhood where people will complain and they will do so by calling the city officials.

Two, in the city of Hollywood, Florida (very close in the same county of Broward) a case recently went to the county level and it was ruled that the chicken was not domestic and therefore must go.

Can someone take a peek at Plantation's ordinances (plantation.org)? I see no mention of livestock. It looks like, on paper, chickens here would only be a problem if they are a noise nuisance. I wonder what stances or arguments folks have taken with any given city when cited.

thanks

BTW- those eggs she popped out as of this week were fabulous!

I would encourage you to resist the unstated, implicit standard (no noise can leave your property) and instead compare the egg-laying cackle to occasional barking or cat fights. A neighborhood is not a place of silence, but rather one of noises we don't control. Our noise ordinance says (abridged) "frequently or for continued duration . . . makes sounds in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, injure or endanger the comfort, repose, health, peace, or safety of a reasonable person of normal sensibilities." look for similar language. if it is not frequent or of continued duration, it should be comparable to other neighborhood sounds. See also http://sarasotacluck.blogspot.com/2010/11/noisy-chickens-quieter-than.html

Hi, We have 3 hens in Plantation, Florida and just got a complaint. I'm so worried!! My children love these hens!

Do you have an update for this? I have friends in Plantation who might want chickens. Thanks! I hope it turned out okay.

Hello! I have no answers for you BUT I do live in Plantation and I would like to have backyard chickens at some point in the future. Currently my husband and I are in an apt, but I do aspire to have a mini farmstead and have no idea where to move to. There are no small rural locations in south Florida that I've found... or are there? I wish there was a pretty, maintained housing development for like-minded urban farm dwellers such as ourselves.... Thoughts?

In Plantation City is ok to have up to 25 chickens, horses and cows are ok. Enclosure must be with in 50 feets from property line.

Ya'll, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that rule above is only for Plantation Acres (definitely out of my price range) and they must be kept 50 feet from the property line.

I'm being forced to rehome my chickens due to this ordinance (27-646):
Other than in the RS-1EP zoning
districts of the City of Plantation and the aforedescribed council-designated areas of vacant land where
commercial farming and grazing of livestock are permitted on a temporary basis as a nonconforming use
of land (as herein defined and set forth), no animals, livestock, poultry or barnyard fowl of any kind shall be
raised, kept, or harbored; except that dogs, cats and other household pets may be kept, provided they are
not kept, bred or maintained for commercial purposes.

I'm going to try to change this rule, and I'm looking for help/support. Please reach out to me if you have chickens, if you want chickens, or if you have also had to rehome your girls so we can work together to get this changed.

Ya'll, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that rule above is only for Plantation Acres (definitely out of my price range) and they must be kept 50 feet from the property line.

I'm being forced to rehome my chickens due to this ordinance (27-646):
Other than in the RS-1EP zoning
districts of the City of Plantation and the aforedescribed council-designated areas of vacant land where
commercial farming and grazing of livestock are permitted on a temporary basis as a nonconforming use
of land (as herein defined and set forth), no animals, livestock, poultry or barnyard fowl of any kind shall be
raised, kept, or harbored; except that dogs, cats and other household pets may be kept, provided they are
not kept, bred or maintained for commercial purposes.

I'm going to try to change this rule, and I'm looking for help/support. Please reach out to me if you have chickens, if you want chickens, or if you have also had to rehome your girls so we can work together to get this changed.
I live in Plantation Park and I had chickens. We loved them but were forced to rehome them. At the time (about 2 years ago) we had all females but a rooster from somewhere came around and decided to stay. That is what got us in trouble, because one of the neighbors couldn't sleep with the rooster crowing (understandable), but the hens were very quiet and made less noise than our neighbors dogs and the gallinules and other birds that live on our canal. I remember looking up the code that you sighted above and it sounds very familiar, however, roosters were mentioned specifically as a no-no. If you want to fight the issue, I'd be glad to join you. I know your post is very old, but I hope that you will find me somehow.

Back
Top Bottom