Norfolk, VA city ordinances, a straight answer needed, maybe even your opinion ;)

taslytoo

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
Hi all. I am new to BYC and have done a couple of hours of research over the last week to discover the laws of my city. I have found some convoluted info. I did call animal control to find the right direction to go with getting a permit, as I understand that the city "supposedly" allows you to have up to 5 hens with a permit. The problem is that no one seems to be able to actually obtain a permit.
I was then given the "head" officer's name and number. I have not called her. My concern is that I will be turned down for a permit and then on their "radar" so to speak. Should I just go ahead and get a couple of hens on the hush? I am willing to do that and don't see a problem with any of my neighbors finding out as long as the clucking doesn't get too loud. I had chickens when I was younger, but can't recall how loud they were.

Thanks for any insight.
S

I'd go ahead, myself, but then I'm a bit independent and don't play well with others.

Last edited:
I think I would try to get one, and then if need be, find out why no one can get one, if you are suppose to be able to get one. Hens for the most part are fairly quite, except right after they lay an egg, they get startled, or they decide they want the nest the other hen is in.

If someone isn't playing nice, and refuses to let you get a permit, I'm sure there are plenty of magazines that would be happy to tell your side. A little bad publicity can change some peoples minds. Sometimes you can also get a bunch of people together and sign a petiton to allow what you want. It is usualy best to go legal, it may take longer to get what you want, but when you get it, no one can take it away.

Just my opinion.
smile.png

Yes, that is correct. You have to get one from the Dept. of Public Health but when they are called they get angry and tell you to call Animal Control. I think I will try to contact the OP to that thread. I had read it the other day too. What baffles me is that I can't find anything on the local news media or otherwise as to the verdict on this. The lady at Animal Control even said she couldn't answer where to get a permit as she wasn't sure of where they stood on things at this point?!

Thanks for the input. I will update when I find an answer :)
S

I'm all for acting now and apologizing later. Usually if you need a permit to do something, you can get it after the fact - sometimes you have to pay a small fine, but some times not. btw, my hen chickens are really loud! They make an incredible range of noises and some ladies after they lay have an announce that would wake the dead. I have a third of an acre and they wake up my neighbors every morning just after dawn. Fortunately, my closest neighbor grew up on a farm and really likes the sound of chickens. My other neighbor sometimes comes running over to see there is an attack, the noise is so great. The best thing to do is buy off your neighbors with fresh eggs!

Our town (suburban Chicagoland) passed a chicken ordinance just a few years back....The ordinance is truly to minimize the cock-fighting industry which apparently is quite significant here (?really?never knew it!). So we're "only" allowed hens. But the only way to have the city come against anyone is if a formal complaint is filed with the Zoning board of the city. They're too busy chasing down owners about leaving broken-down cars in driveways, boats in the street, height of weeds and other sundry sorts of things to bother with a cackle or two.

Yes, some breeds are very 'vocal'. Some are not. Some has to do with personality. Especially without a rooster, one of the hens will take on that 'role' and sometimes she's not particularly understanding of 'quiet hours'!

Because we're semi-rural suburbanites, and 4 of 7 neighbors have chicks, hens, cockerals and roosters too - well, we just made sure we insulated the coop REAL well (for sound not weather!) as the most likely neighbor to complain is about 20' from the coop. So we purchased good windows on clearance at Menards, put in R-11 insultation in the walls, and have the venting up through my kid's treehouse! It all works! Can barely hear 'em in the a.m., unless I forget to close a window!

Personally, I'd be legal. I'd also be legal with my neighbors. Better to go in this with everyone's support. Think of it like installing a fence - you'd like to know if your neighbor was going to do that, right?! (BTW, our town has an 'anti-livestock' ordinance from the 1950's - and the mayor's adult daughter petitioned the Zoning board for the past 15yrs to be able to have sheep, as she's a spinner/weaver. Didn't work. So she petitioned to get llama's - and she happily has two female llama's as of two years ago! But if the mayor's kid can't sway the Board, no one could.....!)

I think I would try to get one, and then if need be, find out why no one can get one, if you are suppose to be able to get one. Hens for the most part are fairly quite, except right after they lay an egg, they get startled, or they decide they want the nest the other hen is in.

If someone isn't playing nice, and refuses to let you get a permit, I'm sure there are plenty of magazines that would be happy to tell your side. A little bad publicity can change some peoples minds. Sometimes you can also get a bunch of people together and sign a petiton to allow what you want. It is usualy best to go legal, it may take longer to get what you want, but when you get it, no one can take it away.

Just my opinion.
smile.png
This is like a bully having to go to the principal's office.....it might work, but it's nowhere near the result as if the one being bullied gets in a few good blows and puts him in his place. If only (years ago, of course), Americans had stood up to such monstrosities as "chicken ordinances" and delivered a few good smacks to the little minions that come around sticking their noses in everyone's business, things would be so much better.

Something like: "I'm from City Hall, and I'm here to inform you that you are going to have to......" SMACK!!! "I'm sorry, Sir. You must have walked right into that post. Do you need help getting back to your car?" It's a different thing entirely to run your mouth when you know there's a good chance someone is going to flatten your nose.

Just my opinion...
wink.png

Last edited:
I know this thread is older but I was curious if the OP got her hens or not? It has been explained to me that as long as no immediate neighbors complain to animal control or the city then you are ok. The city can't just drive by and look in your yard to bust you. Several Hampton Roads cities are changing their laws regarding backyard chickens. Virginia Beach and Norfolk are the current hold outs. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom