Would you eat a sick feeder pig?

caku

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 11, 2013
We have a sick feeder pig who has signs of pneumonia. She got an antibiotic shot from a vet, and the withdrawal period ends on Thursday. She was getting a little better but has since gotten worse, and now has mucus discharge from her nose, which is a new symptom. My husband says we can go ahead and eat her, but I'm nervous about it. Any experiences?

Thanks for your replies. That's what I was leaning towards also...

I would have to be VERY VERY hungry before I would eat any sick critter. Mary
This. Not saying I never, ever would, but I'd sure have eaten everything else first
tongue.png

Infection's different than, say, the CHF type symptoms the meat birds get. I'll eat those easily, and I dare say everyone in the US who's eaten commercial chicken has also. But that's not something that really affects the meat. Honestly, I'm not sure if pneumonia would taint the meat or not, but I'd not chance it.

Along the same lines of this question, what is everyone's thoughts and feelings on vaccination for feeder pigs? I am about to start raising them and i would like to avoid the illnesses as much as possible. Do homesteaders have there pigs vaccinated or not?

I was the original poster. I know that when we got our feeder pigs, they were about 50 lbs. The producer told us they were vaccinated. I'd assume unless you breed your own, you may be hard pressed to find pigs that were unvaccinated. Again, I'd assume. This will be my second year.

I'm trying to look up information about feeder pig vaccinations, but didn't have much luck. I think I will contact a friend who has a lot of experience with pigs and see what she says for you.

Back
Top Bottom