How do I keep my hen from flying out of her pen?

BackyardDove

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Central Texas
My booted bantam hen has been flying out of her pen ever since she learned she could fly. This wouldn't be an issue if we didn't have a dog who has killed chickens in the past and may kill her if she finds her out of her pen. I clipped her wings and I'm not sure if I accidentally clipped both wings(Which I do know is a big no-no) or if I clipped one and she was still getting out and so I clipped the other wing, thinking I hadn't already clipped her wings. Either way, she was still getting out. I had to switch her over to my closed-in pheasant/dove aviary, but she can't stay there forever. This aviary wasn't meant to keep a messy chicken in it and I'd like to put her back in with the other hens. Unfortunately, she's spent long enough in the aviary to where the other hens have forgotten who she is and when I tried to reintroduce her today it took her about 3 minutes before she was forced to fly out of the pen, thanks to the other hens attacking her. I can get her reintroduced to the other hens, but I can't do this if she doesn't stop flying out of the pen. She's the only chicken I've had who gets out of her pen. What am I suppose to do?

I used to have d'Uccles and I have to say they can fly and hover like helicopters. So I would put some netting up - but if you do, think snow load if you get snow.

You can put her inside a dog carrier inside the chicken coop, so the other hens can't hurt her and she can get reintegrated. Just a thought.

Last edited:
I was afraid that I was going to have to enclose that area. There is no issue with snow in my area, it's just a pain to have to enclose that area just for one chicken. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom