Giving Apple Cider Vinegar to Chickens during hot temperatures

Please do a search on acv with chickens. You will find ALOT of information on the subject.

High level: People swear by it. No science behind it. My chickens will refuse to drink water if they taste it in there....so it's really up to you.

Very interesting. We give it to our dogs, and rabbits because it aids digestion, and it's wonderful for skin health, and makes their coats shiny, and soft. We did it for our horses, as well when I was younger. I will definitely look into this for the chickens.

IMO best to be on the cautious side till you read a study or paper or 3 or 4 from reputable sources. I give it to mine in fall thru spring, twice a week.

I used to give it in clean water everyday , but as it goes the longer you do this you question why? Am I buying this and doing that.

I ferment feed during the cold months only, there are too many bugs in the summer and they have tones of greens then .

I added acv to fermented feed , never noticed a difference in lifespan or health issues so I stopped .

I use white vinegar as an aid to clean my water and feed containers , I don’t rinse it out . The only difference I’ve seen from vinegar in water is less mold.

I’m not using apple cider vinegar unless I feel my flock is under the weather then I add garlic, acv and parsley ....

You will find lots of who agree and just as many that disagree ...good luck

Hello! Is it alright to give my girls apple cider vinegar in their water during this hot summer?
I used it in my chicks water till they were 12 weeks old and I read a thread that you should not give it to chickens in Hot weather. It is very hot here right now and my rooster is making a strange sneeze/cough and shaking his head. Every so often. Not all the time just once in a while. I am considering adding ACV to the water this week just to get it in their system. I will also have a pan of fresh water too. I was searching to find out if you can use it in hot weather and came across this >
This is a clip from a research that was done. I will also post the link to the page.
But I found this very interesting.

Does Apple Cider Vinegar help prevent Coccidiosis in Chickens?​

The most readily available research is a Study published in the Polish Journal of Veterinary Science. Despite their conclusion at the end of the study acknowledging that the study was not large enough to be a complete fact, without question, their findings were certainly a 5-star review for Apple Cider Vinegar and Coccidiosis. We make reference to the opening extract as below:

The objective of this study was to investigate the anticoccidial effect of apple cider vinegar added to drinking water with the anticoccidial effect of amprolium to feed broiler chicken.
The study has adopted an observational approach to
evaluate the anticoccidial effect of apple cider vinegar on broiler chicken. The antioxidative changes were measured adding natural apple cider vinegar to drinking water. Four hundred and fifty broiler chickens were purchased from the local market and distributed into three groups (T+vc: positive control, T-vc: negative control Tv: apple cider vinegar) with 150 chickens in each group. The three groups were further replicated into 3 blocks each containing 50 chickens. The groups were fed a balanced diet, amprolium was added to the feed of the positive control group, and apple cider vinegar was added to the water of
Tv group. Measurements of the different variables were started from week 3, at the end of each week 3 birds were chosen randomly, blood samples were collected via the wing vein, and fecal oocysts were counted from intestinal contents of each individual bird using the
McMaster technique.

Broiler in the control groups T+ve and T-ve showed clinical signs of coccidiosis (blood in feces) and the number of coccidial oocytes in feces increased with time.

In the vinegar group, no clinical signs of coccidiosis were observed. Concentrations of total antioxidants and catalase enzyme activity significantly increased (p≤0.05); while malondialdehyde concentration significantly decreased (p≤0.05).

End extract

The study found of in particular note,

• ACV has an anticoccidial effect in poultry
  • Causes a decrease in the number of coccidial oocytes in the faeces
  • aids in lowering the resistance to drug treatment

https://www.dineachook.com.au/blog/does-apple-cider-vinegar-help-stop-coccidiosis-in-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom