Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Related Forum Threads
- New Project! NN Sumatras Last post on 10/30/14 at 4:36pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Bantam Australorp? Last post on 6/29/14 at 8:29am in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Light Brahma breeders- bantam or standard Last post on 5/2/14 at 12:02pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Please show me your Ideal bantam ameraucanas :-D Last post on 2/9/12 at 2:23pm in Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries
- Bantam versus standard Last post on 2/22/12 at 9:44am in General breed discussions & FAQ
The Lowdown on Red Sex Links
Last edited: 9/14/13
- Farm DazeLast edited: 1/23/12
- Standard Large Fowl BreedsLast edited: 6/27/11
- Sumatra Black By ChickenrandomnessLast edited: 1/10/12
- Sumatra Sumatras Come In Black Being The Most Popular Blue And WhiteLast edited: 1/10/12
A very good book. It's full of very useful information, pictures, and tips. I'd recommend it.
I think this waterer is great. It only holds 2 gallons of water so if you're a younger, older or out of shape it's not too much work to carry from the hose to the coop. It's it's very easy to fill...
I bought a one of these this summer. It is fantastic. It will pluck 2 birds in 10-15 seconds. My son in law and I cleaned 20 birds in less than 90 minutes. At the end of 90 minutes they were...
Mini Ecos are a great choice for those who want a quality small incubator but don't want to break the bank. Although you will have to turn the eggs yourself and the temperature readout is not...
A Brinsea Mini was my first incubator and it will be my last too. It is a high quality small incubator for the backyard hobbyist; no, you can't hatch a ton of chicks out of it, but it's ideal for...
Sumatra Thread! - Page 582post #5811 of 58394/22/16 at 6:18pmThank you! I am entering them in a show for young birds and the classes are separated by age and breed. The guy didn't say how old they are.Two dogs, 2 red sex-links, 3 Cochins, 2 silkies, 2 Sumatras, 4 Langshans, and an imaginary horse that I wish my parents would get me.Two dogs, 2 red sex-links, 3 Cochins, 2 silkies, 2 Sumatras, 4 Langshans, and an imaginary horse that I wish my parents would get me.
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickenspost #5812 of 58394/23/16 at 9:34ampost #5813 of 58395/1/16 at 8:48pmpost #5814 of 58395/1/16 at 10:09pmpost #5815 of 58395/2/16 at 7:12amQuote:
NO, there are svart hona, most breeds of cemani have a black comb as well, oh and silkies
and bsl have red combs
Edited by chicklover 1998 - 5/2/16 at 7:12ampost #5816 of 58395/2/16 at 7:22amQuote:
Thanks! Yeah I'm slightly confused as to what she is, she started out with a yellow comb but then it turned black and has stayed black and it's not a single comb lolpost #5817 of 58395/2/16 at 2:51pm
I was wondering if Sumatra's are one of the breeds that carry a lethal gene. My breeding stalk is healthy I only incubate good quality eggs, never wait long then 7 days before the eggs go in the incubator. So far I have had 98% fertility rate, Every egg that is fertile full develops then the chicks seem to die in the shell with out piping. I keep my humidity at 45% during the first 18 days, and bump it up to 60% for the last 3 days. I keep the temp at a steady 99*F. I have broken open the eggs 6 days after the expected hatch rate. there are no deformities, none are under developed, they don't appear to have drowned or be facing the wrong way. So I was wondering if Sumatra's carry a lethal gene or not.post #5818 of 58395/24/16 at 8:17amNever been a fan of Sumatras but I hatched two chicks for my new chicken lover friend. I hate how flighty they are - Ive have so many Sumatras and have only had one sweet and cuddly hen 😂
They sure are cute babies, though! I can't wait to sex themD'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie PulletD'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pulletpost #5819 of 58395/24/16 at 8:28am
All three of my Sumatra's are very friendly. They all come when called and jump up on a roost when I tell them to. I can pick up each of them with out a fuss, lay then on their backs, and spread their wings and play with their feet. I don't find them to be an aggressive or flighty breed. However that could be because I read and sang to them well they were eggs incubating so they got used to my voice, same as how a mother hen clucks to her eggs sometimes and when they are hatching. Once mine hatched they were also handled daily.post #5820 of 58395/24/16 at 8:50am@redrodeo I had my broody Serama hatch the two and I try as often as I can but they run and scream and completely hate me 😂 I do try often. One of my chicks my other broody Serama hatched I had spoken to when it pipped and picked him up from the start and has no problem being held. His/her brother takes off from me as well despite my consistant handling since hatch but I guess it's just personality!D'ove "Mama" - Japanese Bantam Hen Blue "Blueberry" - Serama Hen Little Hawk "Buddy" - Serama/Silkie Cockerel Mouse "Lil Mouse" - Serama/Silkie Pullet
- Farm Daze
- › Clipping guineas wings 18 seconds ago
- › I have a mean (ahem, EVIL) hen! 23 seconds ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine, learn... 29 seconds ago
- › Mountain Peeps's Chat Thread...Continued! 44 seconds ago
- › dust bath 1 minute ago
- › HALLOWEGG Decorating Contest- Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts,... 1 minute ago
- › The Other Poultry Contest! 2 minutes ago
- › Is this a blue ameraucana? If so, is it a hen or roo? thanks 3 minutes ago
- › SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!! 3 minutes ago
- › Did you know..... Chat Thread! W/ Hosts: DwayneNLiz,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Chicken Whisperer's Guide to Keeping Chickens: Everything... by Flock Master64
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by Flock Master64
- › Yardbird Chicken Plucker by duluthralphie
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Our Hen House
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...