Hi, we all love to talk about chickens.
Recent Images In This Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Step by Step Guide to ASSISTED Hatching
Last edited: 10/12/16
- Hatching Eggs And Raising ChicksLast edited: 12/10/15
Mini Ecos are a great choice for those who want a quality small incubator but don't want to break the bank. Although you will have to turn the eggs yourself and the temperature readout is not...
A Brinsea Mini was my first incubator and it will be my last too. It is a high quality small incubator for the backyard hobbyist; no, you can't hatch a ton of chicks out of it, but it's ideal for...
Can't seem to get any tech support. Can't seem to reset it. Alarm was very annoying while trying to figure out why it won't climb to set temps.
I have one specific polish that I have owned for over five years now and she is still my favorite bird. She (and all of the other polish) will perch on my shoulder and will literally act...
My 8 White Leghorn pullets are the friendliest breed I have ever raised. And I have raised quite a few breeds, and some of my breeds include Silkies, EE's, Brahma's, Australorps, etc. But still, my...
- Hatching Eggs And Raising Chicks
Texas - Page 3699
Featured Stories on BackYard Chickens
I remember being on my Grandfather's ranch in Northern California when I was first grade and my father was deployed for a year in the military. That was beyond a lifetime ago. That was back when ranchers and famers were allowed to be ranchers and farmers. He had a very large walnut orchard, a herd of dairy cattle, did a lot of carpentry on the side, and had a chicken house. I spent a lot of free time on the ranch, barn, and yes, the chicken house. He had a small flock, though his favorite was the rhode island red, he called "Roda" after the character in "Mary Tyler Moore." Like I said a lifetime ago, when Lawrence Welk and Hee Ha were in their prime. But, the chicken house and pen were a point of fascination. It got more interesting when we got to get into the old 57 Chevy and go to the General Store. Wood floors, open pickle barrel casks, the whole nine. Well, they had ducks, mallards, in the area they sold chickens, and my mother and I were fascinated, so Grandpa inherited some ducks that procreated. When he sold his ranch about the time Reagan got into office to some hippies that wanted to convert a dairy ranch to a Llama ranch for a large chunk of change rumor had it, those ducks made it to clear lake where they probably have had a lot more generations. Ironically, the same lake he used to throw gunny sacks full of unwanted kittens.
Welcome from Magnolia!
I might start raising meat rabbits. (If my family lets me..) I am a bit worried though. This is my first time raising something for meat and I have just had pets my whole life. No, I won't keep all those rabbits as pets of course, I'm just saying the cull would be really hard the first few times.
I raise meat rabbits. The first few times are the hardest. It gets easier but never gets easy per se. Something that helps... if you name your animals, name your breeders ONLY. The babies that are for eating, I simply refer to as "grow outs". That gives a bit of separation. Good luck.
I'm afraid my "real life" friends may get tired of all my "chicken talk"! Hubby has built the frame for a pvc tractor and now I have to help him attach the wire. Normal people don't understand why I want a "stroller" for my chickens.
Mavabird, we all understand on here. My husband and I were just fixing to build another run for my chickens. They are our "babies". I find myself telling people about my chickens having rugby moments over apples slices and worms. (until of course I catch them rolling their eyes) Most of my friends get tickled, but my child's spouse rolls his eyes. I love my chickens, and this I will not deny. lol
- › HALLOWEGG Decorating Contest- Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts,... 1 minute ago
- › FOWL Celebrity Lookalike Contest! Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/... 3 minutes ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 6 minutes ago
- › Bantam Chickens 7 minutes ago
- › Do chickens get fatty tumors? 9 minutes ago
- › BYC Café 24 minutes ago
- › Coturnix-Pics 26 minutes ago
- › Duck Breed Focus - Ancona 34 minutes ago
- › Intergrating new hens - 12 weeks old 42 minutes ago
- › Mountain Peeps's Chat Thread...Continued! 45 minutes ago
- › Brinsea Mini Eco Egg Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Brinsea Mini Advance Incubator by QueenMisha
- › Sanven Janoel 48 Eggs Digital Automatic Turner Incubator Hatcher... by southernhusky
- › Polish by Faverolle Lover
- › Leghorn by RodNTN
- › ChickenGuard Automatic Door Opener by speedy2020
- › Brahma by Flock Master64
- › Amber Whites by Flock Master64
- › Happy Hen Treats Mealworm Frenzy 3.5 oz Bag by Venevee
- › Orpington by Venevee
- › Small Chicken Coop Designs Pictures Of...
- › Clucksville PTA/information page
- › Looking for Calm Breeds of Chickens? ~ Click...
- › Clucksville School district Student/Teacher age
- › Chicken Exhibitions and Showing: How to get...
- › Glossary of Chicken Terms
- › -Feathers-Rp member page
- › ~The Quackers- Past and Present~
- › New to Chickens and don't know witch...
- › Wound Care for chickens.