1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Golden Comet, 3 years, normal weight
2) What is the behavior, exactl
She seems to be having difficulty breathing. She's not gaping, but slightly opens her mouth to breathe. Kinda looks a bit like when they pant when they are hot but she's not hot. If I pick her up now, it seems to get worse. She is used to being held so this is a new symptom.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing. We have had to keep our girls cooped up more because of the frequent hawk attacks lately. But they all have been getting out for at LEAST 2 hours a day, usually more.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?
Eating fine - Nutrena Pellets, drinking water fine. Foraging fine. Grit and oyster shells at will. Treats - black sunflower seeds.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolation from sisters. (She's in our family room!)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
She is stable. Treat ourselves.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
pine shavings, sand
QUESTIONS - Could this be a start of gapeworm? Could it be a start of an upper respiratory infection? Could this be tumors in her lungs?
HOW DO I TELL?
How would you treat?
Thanks all =)
Edited by JustDawn - 3/24/12 at 9:43pm