••• 2008 Coop Page Contest - Win A $20 BYC Gift Certificate - ENDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golpher Boy, I've been watching your fun thread very closely and was hoping y'all would create a BYC coop page!

I think we'll go a bit longer since some members are still stuck in blizzards and haven't had a chance to get outside yet.

There will be plenty of warning before the contest ends!

Yeh the shed thing, I think next time I build a coop, I will definitely start with a shed as my base material - you have to add and modify it so much that it could hardly be called cheating to miss out the boring box construction bit!

GopherBoy

I
love.gif
your coop!!!

but,how did you get all those people to give you materials?

RChicks,
I am glad you asked that question, (how did you get those people to give you materials).
I would drive by job sites and ask if I could have stuff out of there scrap would piles.
We would look for free stuff on craigs list and go get it.
I asked my nieghbor if they had a window and they did, the others where build out of tempered glass shelving, and two we bought from the re build it center for 2 bucks apeice.
I was doing a remodel on a hospital and got the door, insulation, wire and some sheet goods.
I bought broken up bundles of roofing from lowes at half price,I only had enough to do one side then the rich guy who owns the neighboring property drove by and asked me if I needed more because he had bundles laying around he didnt want to take back and I lent his son the big gopher boy tire so he gave them to me.
The ventalators and pop door I made from shelves I dug out of the trash. The piano hindge we had setting behind our bedroom door for 4 years,
When we went to tear down the garge that was listed on craigs list I asked if I could have the preasure treated deck and cinder blocks. We found 5 galons of paint in the garage,
I even rolled up the tar paper from the roof.
The gun nails and fasteners I had sitting around in the garage from when I used to do remodels.
One of the most expensive things was the little window that tiff picked out from the rebuild it center ($15), I put it in the front door. At the same time we got a little heater, porchlight,floresent light for ten bucks.
The hardest thing was when I drove 30 miles and took down 200 feet of cyclone fenceing and dug the posts up with the cement on them and drug all that stuff 500 yards to my truck after getting throuh the black berrys.
So in short...the coop desighned itself from what I had to use. I have detailed plans I will be submiting that I hope will give others ideas.
My sugestions are free stuff listings, placing want adds, auctions, rebuilt, recycleing places.
Ok...so we had piles of what looked like junk laying around but it got used.
Thank you for your interest, this website has been just as fun as building our coop and raising our chickens.
We have never done this befor I hope we are doing it right.
Gopher Boy

Quote:
SO FUNNY!!! your last sentance on your page sounds just like "GopherBoy"!!! He so much wants to be able to enjoy the girls(chicks) like I do...but he is on a mission.............get them a coop!!!!!!!!! He says then he can get to know them like I have.

BTW.......BEAUTIFUL job!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW...I though you did a great job!!! now I am chomping at the bit to get our house done. BTW does anyone know ...just how long cant 25 chickens be in a brooder? Our brooder is (I think) 6 foot long X 3 foot wide and 2 foot tall... thay are almost a month old.

WE LOVE BYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, i have been watching the progress on gopherboy and he's doing an awesome job! I had my 15 chicks in a 3x5 brooder for 6 weeks, i think gopherboy will make it!

Wow! Another fabulous coop!
big_smile.png

It's amazing the beautiful work we see here on the forum.
Thanks so much for sharing all these great photographs. I especially enjoy seeing the hen houses being built.
I'm happy I won't be choosing just one winner from all of these wonderfully built coops/runs. Too many from which to pick!

Carla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom