🐸How Long Till I Have To Add New Blood?🐸

Dragon Feet

Chirping
Jan 16, 2023
My apologies if this is an silly question😅 I didn't know how to figure out the answer on my own.

How Long Till I Have To Add New Blood To My Flock?

My goal is to have a sustainable flock where I no longer need to introduce new chickens/chicks. Of hens I have two buff orpingtons, one rhode island red, nine easter eggers and a mixed female. I have a single rooster. If I was careful, how long could this flock last without becoming inbred?

My apologies if this is an silly question😅 I didn't know how to figure out the answer on my own.

My goal is to have a sustainable flock where I no longer need to introduce new chickens/chicks. Of hens I have two buff orpingtons, one rhode island red, nine easter eggers and a mixed female. I have a single rooster. If I was careful, how long could this flock last without becoming inbred?
How long have you been breeding from the same birds?

I have read that seven generations is about the limit.
A lot depends on who breeds with who. Rooster to senior hen or first daughters is quite a common arrangement.

Back
Top Bottom