šŸ˜¢ WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?! Another duckling hatched too early and yolk sac is still full! šŸ’”

I think you're doing the best any of us could by doing that. Keeping her humidity up too is important. I know some chicks still can be thirsty even after they hatched, but you're right, she's getting what she needs from that yolk. A bit of diluted Nutra Drench when you give her a drop of water wouldn't hurt though and might help. Nutra Drench is more "instant" than Poultry Cell or others, so it would be good for it I'd think.
Thank you so much for your help. This is such a wonderful group, so kind and empathetic.
She wants to curl up back into her ā€œegg positionā€ as she managed to do this morning. Should I keep her head up or let her curl back down?
I will give her a few drops of diluted Nutra Drench as well.
How often should I check her yolk sac?
I donā€™t know when to let her finish hatching if by the grace of God she survives to that point.
This has never happened to me before, except for last year when a wild Wood Duck mother was killed by a fox and we saved her eggs. One egg hatched fully with the yolk sac unabsorbed.
At that time I knew nothing about ducks so I made him a little bed in a shoe box pin top of a heating pad! The duckling was so weak and tiny it couldnā€™t even lift its head, and the yolk sac was so huge it couldnā€™t even close itā€™s little legs. But he was a fighter because he made it being over a week early!!
He currently still lives in our pond and returned after the winter!
After joining this group Iā€™m absolutely amazed he survived because I did everything wrong!

Blessings to you,
Amy

Here are some photos of her in her cup.
I would love to know if I did it correctly and if there is anything else that I can do for this precious little babyā€¦

Attachments

• IMG_6079.png
    IMG_6079.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6080.png
    IMG_6080.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6081.png
    IMG_6081.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6082.png
    IMG_6082.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
I have no advice, currently incubating my first eggs, one of which is a duck that is only on day 3 and Iā€™m not yet 100% that it is viable. But that baby is so cute and I hope they make it! Hopefully a bit of nutridrench will be a kickstart. Itā€™s body may still be struggling to grow and needs more energy to absorb the yolk.

I think you did things perfectly. She's so cute.
Really hope she makes it ā™„ļø
Hi!!

Omg! She made it!! ā¤ļø What a little fighter she is!
I laid her down for a moment, still half in her egg, and she just kicked out! All that was left of of her yolk sac was a little ā€œouttie belly buttonā€ which is now completely gone!
Sheā€™s full of energy, eating and drinking and RUNNING already!
She was very wobbly for the first night and she stayed in the incubator, but the next morning I opened the incubator and she ran right to me, all fluffed up and ready to go! šŸ„°
My only concern is that she is a lone duckling. As of last night only 2 of the 4 eggs were still alive. One being our ā€œfairy eggā€ that I know will need assistance due to the fact that the shell is incredibly thick!
I canā€™t imagine how tiny the duckling will be if by some miracle she makes it!
But I know lone ducklingā€™s do not do well alone, they need constant companionship.
I have a mirror and stuffed animals in her brooder box and made it as cozy as I can, but all she wants to do is be held and snuggled.
Thankfully Iā€™m able to see my patients via TeleHealth, so Iā€™m home with her and sheā€™s snuggling on my lap as I work.
My daughter and I take turns holding her because she cries when sheā€™s alone and Iā€™ve heard a duckling can die of loneliness and depression!!
Thank you so much for your kindness and support!
Hereā€™s some pictures of her, Iā€™m still trying to figure out a good name. šŸ„°

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6112.jpeg
    IMG_6112.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi!!

Omg! She made it!! ā¤ļø What a little fighter she is!
I laid her down for a moment, still half in her egg, and she just kicked out! All that was left of of her yolk sac was a little ā€œouttie belly buttonā€ which is now completely gone!
Sheā€™s full of energy, eating and drinking and RUNNING already!
She was very wobbly for the first night and she stayed in the incubator, but the next morning I opened the incubator and she ran right to me, all fluffed up and ready to go! šŸ„°
My only concern is that she is a lone duckling. As of last night only 2 of the 4 eggs were still alive. One being our ā€œfairy eggā€ that I know will need assistance due to the fact that the shell is incredibly thick!
I canā€™t imagine how tiny the duckling will be if by some miracle she makes it!
But I know lone ducklingā€™s do not do well alone, they need constant companionship.
I have a mirror and stuffed animals in her brooder box and made it as cozy as I can, but all she wants to do is be held and snuggled.
Thankfully Iā€™m able to see my patients via TeleHealth, so Iā€™m home with her and sheā€™s snuggling on my lap as I work.
My daughter and I take turns holding her because she cries when sheā€™s alone and Iā€™ve heard a duckling can die of loneliness and depression!!
Thank you so much for your kindness and support!
Hereā€™s some pictures of her, Iā€™m still trying to figure out a good name. šŸ„°
She's so cute! It's great she made it. I'm interested to see what ends up happening with that fairy egg.
It's completely up to you what you name it. Because of its colour it should grow up to be white, so maybe name her something to do with that.
Hope your other eggs do great! You seem to be doing everything right

I have no advice, currently incubating my first eggs, one of which is a duck that is only on day 3 and Iā€™m not yet 100% that it is viable. But that baby is so cute and I hope they make it! Hopefully a bit of nutridrench will be a kickstart. Itā€™s body may still be struggling to grow and needs more energy to absorb the yolk.
Hi!

I gave her some diluted Nutra Drench while she was still half in her egg absorbing her very large yolk sac. And it gave her some extra nutrients for sure!
Wednesday night I laid her down quickly to check for progress and she just kicked out!
Her yolk sac was almost completely gone and I put a little antiseptic on it and put her back in the incubator to dry overnight because it was quite late.
The next morning I opened the incubator and she was fluffed out and ready to go!
As soon as she saw me she jumped out of the incubator into my hands and her belly button was completely gone.
Sheā€™s eating, d
She's so cute! It's great she made it. I'm interested to see what ends up happening with that fairy egg.
It's completely up to you what you name it. Because of its colour it should grow up to be white, so maybe name her something to do with that.
Hope your other eggs do great! You seem to be doing everything right
Thank you!
Sheā€™s absolutely darling! What a personality!
Iā€™m just worried about her being a lone duckling. The fairy egg passed away. Iā€™m so sad. šŸ˜ž She couldnā€™t internally pip upon inspection. It broke my heart because she was fully developed.
This has happened to me several times before and itā€™s very sad. Only 1 out of my 5 eggs made it this time.
Now I have to try to try to give her the attention she needs and deserves. šŸ„°

omg thatā€™s so exciting!!! Iā€™ve been waiting for an update!
Awe, thank you!
Sheā€™s doing great and is so sweet!
Since sheā€™s a lone duckling Iā€™m in a constant state of worry. The other eggs did not make it sadly and I have no idea why.
All she wants to do is be with us and be held and snuggled. We take turns holding her and she sleeps in our laps and canā€™t seem to get close enough! Lol!
She has the most darling personality. ā¤ļø Yet Iā€™m very worried because Iā€™ve heard many times that line ducklings do not do well..
Iā€™ve made her brooder as cozy as possible with soft stuffed animals, a large mirror and soft blankets.
We take turns holding her as much as possible, but when I put her back in her box she cries and I get very worried and sad, especially leaving her overnight.
Iā€™ve never had a lone duckling and Iā€™m very worried that sheā€™ll become depressed and die!
Iā€™m doing everything possible and have her box right in the living room so she can hear us and see us when sheā€™s not being held.
Iā€™m unable to find her a friend because I believe itā€™s a law that you cannot purchase a single duckling. Truck & Tractor Supply said I must purchase 3!!
Iā€™m scouring the internet trying to find her a friend but Iā€™m not having any luck and Iā€™m so worried about our precious little miracle baby!!
Thank you so very much for your kindness and support, it means a lot!
This is such a wonderful group of such caring and knowledgeable people who have helped me tremendously!! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Very kindly,
Amy

Awe, thank you!
Sheā€™s doing great and is so sweet!
Since sheā€™s a lone duckling Iā€™m in a constant state of worry. The other eggs did not make it sadly and I have no idea why.
All she wants to do is be with us and be held and snuggled. We take turns holding her and she sleeps in our laps and canā€™t seem to get close enough! Lol!
She has the most darling personality. ā¤ļø Yet Iā€™m very worried because Iā€™ve heard many times that line ducklings do not do well..
Iā€™ve made her brooder as cozy as possible with soft stuffed animals, a large mirror and soft blankets.
We take turns holding her as much as possible, but when I put her back in her box she cries and I get very worried and sad, especially leaving her overnight.
Iā€™ve never had a lone duckling and Iā€™m very worried that sheā€™ll become depressed and die!
Iā€™m doing everything possible and have her box right in the living room so she can hear us and see us when sheā€™s not being held.
Iā€™m unable to find her a friend because I believe itā€™s a law that you cannot purchase a single duckling. Truck & Tractor Supply said I must purchase 3!!
Iā€™m scouring the internet trying to find her a friend but Iā€™m not having any luck and Iā€™m so worried about our precious little miracle baby!!
Thank you so very much for your kindness and support, it means a lot!
This is such a wonderful group of such caring and knowledgeable people who have helped me tremendously!! ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Very kindly,
Amy
actually i think lone ducks do fine if you have someone there to care for them. Its so much easier for them to imprint on the humans.

Back
Top Bottom