1 Year Old Wyandotte Can't Hold her head up suddenly- UPDATED with happy ending šŸ˜

I'd look into that high Calcium.
I know hens need calcium to lay eggs, but too much is not good either.
I'm tagging in @coach723 AST is liver. I wonder if giving some Milk Thistle would be of benefit. Cut the Calcium, switch her feed to an 18% chick starter or all flock (less calcium than layer feed).
BUT, she's improving daily by doing what you're doing too - so...I'd be hesitant to make any drastic changes because you won't know what helped/didn't help or even worsened her condition if you throw it all at her at one time.
Brainstorm typing, just throwing thoughts/ideas out there for you to run with - yes, I do this when I talk too...drives my Hubs nutso sometimes..šŸ˜

Have a look at this article. Specifically what it says under Diagnosis, and zinc toxicity levels. If i am reading it correctly, It says 4.0ppm IS high enough to be toxic. I sought out info because 4.0 with a range of .8-2.5 seemed high to me. I think it may be too late/unnecessary to do chelation treatment though, as long as whatever caused the toxicity is not still in her gizzard. Seems like Penny is young and strong enough to have overcome the effects, especially if she continues to get better. Did your vet give any guidance?
https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/exotic-medicine/lead-and-zinc-toxicity-in-birds/

I'd look into that high Calcium.
I know hens need calcium to lay eggs, but too much is not good either.
I'm tagging in @coach723 AST is liver. I wonder if giving some Milk Thistle would be of benefit. Cut the Calcium, switch her feed to an 18% chick starter or all flock (less calcium than layer feed).
BUT, she's improving daily by doing what you're doing too - so...I'd be hesitant to make any drastic changes because you won't know what helped/didn't help or even worsened her condition if you throw it all at her at one time.
Brainstorm typing, just throwing thoughts/ideas out there for you to run with - yes, I do this when I talk too...drives my Hubs nutso sometimes..šŸ˜
Hahaha That is funny- I love the way you think!

I agree that she is doing well on the b complex, vitamin e and poultry cel so I will continue to do that daily.

She has lost a little weight because even though she is eating on her own she doesn't quite have the appetite she did have before this all happened. She currently weighs 4.8 lbs down from 5.8 lbs. I have started with a little syringe feeding of kaytee's baby bird formula this morning so we continue to keep her weight up now that she is more active. I have also started back with the chick crumbles to keep that calcium in check.

She also hasn't laid an egg in the past two weeks, but not surprising given everything that she has been through. So even thought I know we are moving in the right direction and she is definately continuing to progress and enjoy life more- we are not back to where we were before this occured which is okay for now. Just hope that the egg laying piece is normal when it returns and that we don't have any issues there.

In the past few days she continues to progress, she is very alert, strong and curious to explore. She is now running and able to "jump/fly" up to perches, stairs etc. I have a call into her vet and I am waiting to hear back as she was out these past few days.

Last edited:
Have a look at this article. Specifically what it says under Diagnosis, and zinc toxicity levels. If i am reading it correctly, It says 4.0ppm IS high enough to be toxic. I sought out info because 4.0 with a range of .8-2.5 seemed high to me. I think it may be too late/unnecessary to do chelation treatment though, as long as whatever caused the toxicity is not still in her gizzard. Seems like Penny is young and strong enough to have overcome the effects, especially if she continues to get better. Did your vet give any guidance?
https://todaysveterinarypractice.com/exotic-medicine/lead-and-zinc-toxicity-in-birds/
Hi there- You are correct, I think I misinterpreted this note below on the results :hmm

1686831631944.png

I will update you all once I speak to the vet regarding Penny's prognosis and potential diagnosis. If she continues to progress and if this indeed was a zinc toxicity caused by a foreign object. Do we think she may have passed it then? I am cautious that she doesn't nosedive again- so even though she moved out to the studio apartment lol I am keeping a close eye on her. She also still sleeps indoors at night (we have been having some bad thunderstorms) in a crate so I can monitor her eating/drinking and pooping as well.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way to know for sure without an xray, but the fact she continues to improve is a very good sign.
agreed- I don't want to do an x-ray because the vet with put her under anesthesia and I don't want to go down that road since birds do not always survive that :(

Back
Top Bottom