1 Year Old Wyandotte Can't Hold her head up suddenly- UPDATED with happy ending šŸ˜

Hi all!

I just wanted to close out this post and update you on Penny Marshall's current status. She recently integrated back into her flock and has been laying perfect eggs again. She is enjoying her summer immensely. Her weight is close to what is was prior to her getting sick (5.2 as opposed to 5.6) but she has a fantastic appetite and eats and drinks regularly.

As you recall- in late May we found her in the nesting box unable to keep her head up. We immediately started vitamin e and b complex therapy and she appeared to be doing better and then suddenly took a turn for the worse. It was then that we took her to the vet. Her vitals were strong so she tested her blood for zinc and lead poisoning. Her zinc levels came back high and she was anemic but Penny continued to thrive with the Vitamin E and B complex therapy. We may not know what this was but some theories are wry neck, (I believe it was wry neck) zinc poisoning or possibly got into a daffodil that was within reach of the coop. The good news is she is 99% recovered. I have removed all the daffodils from surrounding the coop and I continue to monitor her and the flock. We have changed their feed to a higher protein feed as they don't have access to free-ranging. We have decided in the next month to build a new coop so they have more than ample space to run around and play. I am so happy to share this story with all for a happy ending for Penny Marshall living her best days as a chicken with her flock!
20230715_090718.jpg

See attached video of a recent garden walk Penny took.

Thank you all so much for following Penny Marshall's story and for your advice in aiding to her recovery!! We could not have done it without you all!!

ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

Last edited:
Thank you! I hope her story can help others on this site!
I do believe it willā€¦

I, myself, have bookmarked/saved this thread, so I could have it as a referenceā€¦
This is a classic example as to why I adore these message boards so much, as well as the wide community of chicken-owners on hereā€¦
:celebrate
Thanks so much for sharing this; Thanks for reaching out, for seeking advice, for opening up this written dialogue that would ultimately help/show others about Pennyā€™s health journeyā€¦

ā€” Take care everyone! ā™„ļøšŸ„ā™„ļø

I do believe it willā€¦

I, myself, have bookmarked/saved this thread, so I could have it as a referenceā€¦
This is a classic example as to why I adore these message boards so much, as well as the wide community of chicken-owners on hereā€¦
:celebrate
Thanks so much for sharing this; Thanks for reaching out, for seeking advice, for opening up this written dialogue that would ultimately help/show others about Pennyā€™s health journeyā€¦

ā€” Take care everyone! ā™„ļøšŸ„ā™„ļø
Penny has become quite the celebrity this week ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø

I'm very glad she is doing so well :) Just a note on vitamin E. Excessive amounts will cause an anticoagulant effect much like aspirin, so if there is any injury or erosion internally, it can become quite difficult to control any bleeding quickly, in the event that there is any. (Judicious use of vit K should be an antidote).

A fair guide to vit E: https://poultrydvm.com/condition/vitamin-e-deficiency-in-chickens

Back
Top Bottom