10 hens-still no eggs,beginning to think seller lied about their age!

acw123

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Charlottesville
I purchased five Australorps on Feb 12th and I was told that they were 17 weeks old at the time of purchase. Everything I have read has said they should be laying now that they are supposedly 27 1/2 weeks old. But not a single egg.
sad.png
They have just started to get really red on their combs and ears, etc. Is this normal?? I am beginning to think its personal at this point. They have plenty of food, oyster shell, water, clean nesting boxes and a perfectly nice grassy area in their coop, but nothing. They are being fed layers feed and get at least one protein and/or calcium rich treat a day in addition to their regular diet. Am I being impatient? Everything I read has said on average they start laying around 24 weeks. I am really starting to question whether the seller was telling me the truth about their age or lied to get a few more dollars out of me. Being a first time owner I have no idea if they were 13 weeks or 17 weeks.

In addition to the australorps I purchased 5 Buff Orpingtons the Feb 19th. At 13-14 weeks at time of purchase they were bigger than the A's were at supposedly 17 weeks and now they are all the same size and the BO's are only 22-23 weeks old now. I am not expecting anything from the BO girls just yet but at this rate they may produce sooner. who knows.

Going crazy waiting. The worst part is I talked to a fellow chicken owner and they tell me that theirs started laying at 18 weeks!!! AGHGHH!!!

Anybody with Australorp's can you tell me your experience with when your hens began to lay?

I have some non hatchery stock BOs that are going on 8 months and still not one egg. You can expect eggs between 4-6 months for hatchery birds but heritage breeds typically take longer to get into lay. You may have been fibbed to but more than likely they are just going about this whole egg laying business in their own sweet time.
smile.png
I am waiting on 4 different breeds that are taking their sweet time to get into lay, so I feel your pain.

I've never had Australorps but BOs get quite big fast, so it may be that they are younger than your lorps but bigger.

I do not have Australorps, but have orps and various other birds. Every bird lays on its own schedual.

When watching pullets getting close to POL (point of lay) I never use age - I always use the physical signs that tell me they are getting close - coloring of the face and comb, a comb that grows fatter and then of course the squatting (but not all pullets will squat).

Sounds like your girls are getting close. Do you have golf balls or something in the nest boxes? When I have "new layers" and no older hens to show them, I will put an egg in their nest box (mark the egg with an X so I do not collect it to eat). The egg helps to show young pullets where it is safe to lay.

I have had hatchery birds lay as soon as 23 weeks and have had APA breeder birds not lay until a year of age. Personally I prefer the late layers - this allows their internal organs a chance to grow before the stress of laying. Young layers often have many problems due to laying so young and not being mature enough.

I think what drives me most crazy is that everyone seems to be asking me..."Any eggs yet?" I of course sound like a sullen kid when I say no. I will keep waiting but I swear that first egg I will probably have to take a picture and post it before my kids fight over who gets to eat it! Thanks for the feedback on my frustrations.

Lisa

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have some ceramic eggs in the nest boxes and they occassionally get in and push the eggs out because I find them on the coop floor the next day. Will keep waiting.

I'm not 100% sure, but I got 6 different varieties of chick last December and only my Astralorp and EEs are still "behind" developmentally. The astralorp of mine, 19 weeks old, has barely any comb yet. Maybe they are very slow to mature.

I have Australorps and Buff Orps, they are both great layers, and wonderful chickens. All of mine were over 6 months old when they started laying, but they've been faithful ever since! Are they doing the "egg squat" yet? That's a good sign that eggs are imminent!

Hang in there. They will lay eggs.. and they'll be the best eggs you've ever had.

Quote:
As these are my first chikens not really sure what the egg squat is so don't know if they are doing it. Would it be apparent to me that it was a different than normal behavior when I see it?

I can see where it would be really hard with so many people asking you all the time! It's nice that they're taking an interest, though.

I've always wanted some Australorps or at least one! I think they have the most beautiful heads. I love the dark eyes, too.

Back
Top Bottom