10 Week old RIR Feels Warm

ShianRainDrop

Chirping
Feb 8, 2020
Eastern NC
Hello all. I hope I get a better response here than I did on a chicken FB group. Which was none at all. LOL!

I have 9 RIR hens that are about 9-10 weeks old. I have one that is soooooo stinking sweet and cuddly and calm. However, when I was holding her last night, her skin felt pretty warm. I picked up another chicken and checked her skin and her's wasn't as warm as my sweet girls is. She tends to hang out by herself a lot too. I'll see her laying in the corner of the coop while everyone else is outside, or up on the roosts while the others are playing. She is a little bit smaller than all the others but I have never seen any of them picking on her or bullying her. She also seems to be eating and drinking fine and her poop is normal. I did see her open her mouth this past Sunday to breathe so I brought her in and gave her some poultry drench and a room temperature raw egg yolk for a boost in protein. She didn't consistently breath like that or anything. Just for a few seconds at a time for a few minutes. I haven't seen her do it again.

I'm mostly worried about her possibly having a fever? And if so, at her young age, what might there be to be concerned with? Oh, also, my flock had some kind of immunization when I ordered them. (I know this is a highly debated area. I'm brand new to chickens so with the amount of debate there is going on, I just decided to have it done despite all of the confusion.)

Thank you so much for all of your experience and advice you may be able to offer. If she still feels warm this weekend, I will probably take her to the vet.

Here is a picture of her hanging out with me watching homesteading videos. She is therapeutic to me so I want to make sure she is healthy!

1588681737102.png

Last edited:
9 RIR hens that are about 9-10 weeks old
However, when I was holding her last night, her skin felt pretty warm. I picked up another chicken and checked her skin and her's wasn't as warm as my sweet girls is.
She is a little bit smaller than all the others
She also seems to be eating and drinking fine and her poop is normal. I did see her open her mouth this pastSunday to breath so I brought her in and gave her some poultry drench and a room temperature raw egg yolk for a boost in protein. I'm mostly worried about her possibly having a fever?
Can you post some photo of her poop?

Where are you located in the world? What's your weather been like?

Chickens are warm. Their normal body temp is for an adult chicken is around 105-107F. Juveniles somewhere around 103F or so. So she should feel warm.

What are you feeding?
She's eating/drinking, not getting picked on. She's a bit smaller than the others- some birds are smaller/runty than the others. Sometimes a runty one may isolate themselves a bit more too.
I would get a good look at her poop. Watch to see that she's eating/drinking well. A boost of poultry vitamins 2 times a week for a couple of weeks won't hurt her.

If she's not lethargic, then I would put her back with the others. The longer she is separated, the more difficult time she may have with the other pullets.

Can you post some photo of her poop?

Where are you located in the world? What's your weather been like?

Chickens are warm. Their normal body temp is for an adult chicken is around 105-107F. Juveniles somewhere around 103F or so. So she should feel warm.

What are you feeding?
She's eating/drinking, not getting picked on. She's a bit smaller than the others- some birds are smaller/runty than the others. Sometimes a runty one may isolate themselves a bit more too.
I would get a good look at her poop. Watch to see that she's eating/drinking well. A boost of poultry vitamins 2 times a week for a couple of weeks won't hurt her.

If she's not lethargic, then I would put her back with the others. The longer she is separated, the more difficult time she may have with the other pullets.

Oh she is still with her sisters because she hasn't shown me any reason not to keep her in there. So not seperated from them. My apologies for any confusion with my post.

I am feeding my girls Purina non-medicated Starter/Grower.

I'm located in Eastern NC and the weather is like a yoyo here but not in the extreme form.

I looked at her poop over the weekend when I noticed she felt hotter than the others and it looked the same as the others. I'll check again though.

When you say poultry vitamins, is that the same thing as the Nutri-Drench or is there something else I should be giving twice a week? And should I be giving it to all of them or just her?

It's just strange to me that she feels hotter than the others.

Oh she is still with her sisters because she hasn't shown me any reason not to keep her in there. So not seperated from them. My apologies for any confusion with my post. I am feeding my girls Purina non-medicated Starter/Grower.

I'm located in Eastern NC and the weather is like a yoyo here but not in the extreme form. I looked at her poop over the weekend when I noticed she felt hotter than the others and it looked the same as the others. I'll check again though.

When you say poultry vitamins, is that the same thing as the Nutri-Drench or is there something else I should be giving?
Poultry Nutri-Drench would be fine.

I would keep watch on her - you are noticing something different about her, so that should not be dismissed.

Back
Top Bottom