100% Urban Predator proof Chicken Run

question: I am thinking about the roof right now and I think I am actually going to roof the entire run in instead of leaving the last bit uncovered.. I figured that the whole point of the roof is for protection from the elements as this is a full sun spot and to keep the moisture out as much as possible. however if I was to do the full roof over the run I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 clear plastic panels either in the 5' middle section or at the end on the 6' section but cant decide on placement. I will use metal for the remainder to cut down on the amount of light so this would only create a section of light that will start at one end of the run in the morning and sweep through the entire run over the course of the day. I'm afraid that during the hottest parts of summer that clear panel will let too much light in, but during the winter it is much needed light as well as needed to keep the ground dryer...

I guess I could always place it in the middle and cover it when it gets hot, but I figured I would just check and see recommendations first.
Use clear and cover with shade cloths in summer.

Not quite a month yet, but we've had at least one torrential rain that forced water horizontally into the run.  The sand had dried up within a day after that.  We'll probably do a good sifting before winter sets in, then again in the spring.  With only six hens in that 8x16 run, it isn't getting messed up too fast.

Basically brand new then.
I predict that by the end of snow melt season, if not before, you will be desperate for a way to reduce the odors in your run.

You can never sift all the poop out of sand,
eventually it will become saturated with pulverized poop particles,
which will smell very, very, very badly when the sand gets wet... no matter how quickly it drains and dries.

I fully agree with this, I know a lot of people have good luck with sand, but IMO it's best suited for a very well drained very dry environment and not too deep...

Sand by nature has a tendency to go anaerobic in a very short time due to the fact it compacts so well, unless turned over and fluffed readily... The anaerobic bacteria will create a very strong sulfur and sewer like stench in short unlike aerobic bacteria in a less compacted base that creates a more sweet composting smell...

Use clear and cover with shade cloths in summer.

Nice! that's what I was thinking, I like bouncing ideas off more experienced people! thanx!
thumbsup.gif

I fully agree with this, I know a lot of people have good luck with sand, but IMO it's best suited for a very well drained very dry environment and not too deep...

Sand by nature has a tendency to go anaerobic in a very short time due to the fact it compacts so well, unless turned over and fluffed readily... The anaerobic bacteria will create a very strong sulfur and sewer like stench in short unlike aerobic bacteria in a less compacted base that creates a more sweet composting smell...

Yeah after reading further into it I agree from what I have seen, people in dryer climates have less to worry about with a sand base (except scalding feet) and people with more humid and wetter climates (like VA) tend to complain about a horrid smell within a year. I know this will sound horrible, but I want to be as lazy as possible! I'm going to start with a dirt run as first and if need be all I will have to do is put a bigger retaining board along the bottom to go deep litter.

Also,
I haven't forgotten to keep updating I just having had much progress as of yet, this weekend I plan on having it completely framed and start on the putting up the wire. I will have more photos next Monday.
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Actually I do have some questions about a watering system while I have the experts attentions
highfive.gif
I'm thinking of doing a rain barrel design that catches from the gutter off the back side of the roof. I'm going to lay the barrel like the picture below but build a stand to butt the barrel almost to the roof with a clear plastic corrugated roof overtop to let light in, I will box in to prevent chickens from roosting on top as well. The system will look identical to the one shown here EXCEPT it will only be one barrel and I will attach a hose that will go into a bucket, the bucket will have the water bell attachment for the chickens. the reason I am doing it this way is I have a 5 gal bucket heater. I don't want to heat the rain barrel all winter to prevent from freezing, but I don't mind keeping the 5 gal bucket thawed and during extreme cold (keep in mind I'm in VA which never gets "extreme" cold) I will just fill the bucket from the house or use a rubber tub for temporary purposes.

I planned on putting the clear plastic roof right over top of the barrel to hopefully encourage it to keep thawed during the day with a spill off to prevent freezing and cracking the barrel.

the only concern I have is bacteria or algae growing in the barrel due to not only the light but just over time. does anyone have suggestions on how to fight that off as getting inside to scrub the barrel seems like an impossible and highly unpleasant job.

Last edited:
I know this will sound horrible, but I want to be as lazy as possible!

Deep litter, once it gets going properly maintenance is minimal... Been doing it for over 2 years now in my coop, and have only added more material no clean out yet, it's still working as expected, no smell and cold composting just like it's supposed to...

the only concern I have is bacteria or algae growing in the barrel due to not only the light but just over time.  does anyone have suggestions on how to fight that off as getting inside to scrub the barrel seems like an impossible and highly unpleasant job.

Rain water shed from roofs is prime bacteria and algae growing water, inevitably birds will 'poop' on your roof (nitrates) and organic matter (carbon) like leaves and what not will also settle in your gutters or roofs... All that is needed for a algae bloom at that point is some light, and many kinds of good and bad bacteria are already at work light or no light...

As for cleaning, I would simply 'shock' it with bleach, be it pool shock or household bleach as it accumulates stuff for 24 hours... Drain and rinse and it should be mostly clean of anything harmful...

Also don't be too discouraged to heat the entire 55 gallons, since it's fully enclosed and a large volume of water it actually doesn't take much to keep it above freezing... I use a 250W titanium aquarium heater hooked up to a custom thermostat to heat my 55 gallon drum of water to about 40°...

Deep litter, once it gets going properly maintenance is minimal... Been doing it for over 2 years now in my coop, and have only added more material no clean out yet, it's still working as expected, no smell and cold composting just like it's supposed to...
Rain water shed from roofs is prime bacteria and algae growing water, inevitably birds will 'poop' on your roof (nitrates) and organic matter (carbon) like leaves and what not will also settle in your gutters or roofs... All that is needed for a algae bloom at that point is some light, and many kinds of good and bad bacteria are already at work light or no light...

As for cleaning, I would simply 'shock' it with bleach, be it pool shock or household bleach as it accumulates stuff for 24 hours... Drain and rinse and it should be mostly clean of anything harmful...

Also don't be too discouraged to heat the entire 55 gallons, since it's fully enclosed and a large volume of water it actually doesn't take much to keep it above freezing... I use a 250W titanium aquarium heater hooked up to a custom thermostat to heat my 55 gallon drum of water to about 40°...

That all makes complete sense. As far as the deep litter method, I am still on the fence ( only because my wife is convinced it will create more work) The way I usually win that argument is allow her to try it her way for a bit and then when she complains about something I tell her "i'll tweak it" and then change it over to how I feel it should be... so no worries I'm sure it will end up going that direction.
cool.png

As for the rain barrel and algae blooms and bacteria, I had assumed that it would involve a bleach cleanse lol. Thanks for the help! I'm excited about this weekend, I'm hoping to make some real progress!

ALSO: I like your design with the nipples on the barrel. it seems like that would be a pain to put those on, am I correct on this?

Last edited:
They're very simple to install, once you know how......curious if @MeepBeep cut threads or not.

do you cut the hole and thread them in or do you cut the hole and bolt the backside?

nvm I looked it up and it looks like they just screw in. I have a system already with the nipples in a pvc tube but I am sad to say I actually bought this one
hmm.png
so I had no idea how they attach, I think from now on i'll be installing them myself since they look super easy to put in well..... anything that can hold water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom