100% Urban Predator proof Chicken Run

Use river sand. It is courser, and will not create dust clouds like the fine washed sand you buy at the big box store for the kids sand box.

Use river sand.  It is courser, and will not create dust clouds like the fine washed sand you buy at the big box store for the kids sand box.

Awesome!!!!
I had been thinking about sand but we have started to put the soil back in. But I may just scoop that back out and use sand!
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Definitely sand. It drains better, dries faster, and is easier to clean by raking the top inch or so and pouring it through a sifter when the poop builds up. A little like sifting a cat litter box, only on a larger scale as needed.
How long have you had sand in your run?

Not quite a month yet, but we've had at least one torrential rain that forced water horizontally into the run. The sand had dried up within a day after that. We'll probably do a good sifting before winter sets in, then again in the spring. With only six hens in that 8x16 run, it isn't getting messed up too fast.

Not quite a month yet, but we've had at least one torrential rain that forced water horizontally into the run. The sand had dried up within a day after that. We'll probably do a good sifting before winter sets in, then again in the spring. With only six hens in that 8x16 run, it isn't getting messed up too fast.
Basically brand new then.
I predict that by the end of snow melt season, if not before, you will be desperate for a way to reduce the odors in your run.

You can never sift all the poop out of sand,
eventually it will become saturated with pulverized poop particles,
which will smell very, very, very badly when the sand gets wet... no matter how quickly it drains and dries.

Then you can think about how to start 'composting' the poops in place to greatly reduce if not totally eliminate the odors.
Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

In winter when everything's frozen, try raking and scooping poo out of that sand. It won't be pretty! Deep litter works much better, gives you nice mulch for the garden, play time for the birds, and very infrequent cleanout chores. Mary

Well then, I think for now I'm going to stick with just a soil based run as we only have 3 hens in a 17x8 runner and we free range when home, so.... I think over complicating it at this point would just set back the project a few weeks I don't really have. If I ever want to switch over bedding it'll be simple to do later on. I am sad to say I did not get a lot done this weekend due to the storm and the rain. Yesterday it cleared in the afternoon but the ground was a mud pit and the wind itself blew everything lighter then a hammer off the table. so after about an hour I just got frustrated and worked on Halloween projects!
clap.gif

Mud pit, eh? You did get out there and scope out how the rain was standing, draining, etc.,. didn't you? If it's a mud pit now then I would definitely be looking at getting some built up litter going. Just my uneducated opinion.
wink.png

Ed

Mud pit, eh? You did get out there and scope out how the rain was standing, draining, etc.,. didn't you? If it's a mud pit now then I would definitely be looking at getting some built up litter going. Just my uneducated opinion.
wink.png

Ed

Oh no! the run was in great shape, everything else was just wet, muddy and not fun to work in. we had nearly a foot of rain (Not much compared to other flooded places) in 24 hours on Saturday and while the ground was still wet sunday morning and a little soggy on the newly added dirt (due to not packing yet) no standing water and the drainage worked beautifully!

Last edited:
question: I am thinking about the roof right now and I think I am actually going to roof the entire run in instead of leaving the last bit uncovered.. I figured that the whole point of the roof is for protection from the elements as this is a full sun spot and to keep the moisture out as much as possible. however if I was to do the full roof over the run I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 clear plastic panels either in the 5' middle section or at the end on the 6' section but cant decide on placement. I will use metal for the remainder to cut down on the amount of light so this would only create a section of light that will start at one end of the run in the morning and sweep through the entire run over the course of the day. I'm afraid that during the hottest parts of summer that clear panel will let too much light in, but during the winter it is much needed light as well as needed to keep the ground dryer...

I guess I could always place it in the middle and cover it when it gets hot, but I figured I would just check and see recommendations first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom