100% Urban Predator proof Chicken Run

I've just been reading this thread, very interesting. Predator protection and ventilation are both so important! I've got two suggestions. The Restore run by Habitat for Humanity has doors, windows, and other useful stuff, very cheap. Also, rather than actual windows, a large opening covered in hardware cloth and maybe also woven wire, works great. In winter, some clear plastic sheeting over the lower section protects from snow and cold winds very well. Maybe not as beautiful, but good for the birds. Mary

I've just been reading this thread, very interesting. Predator protection and ventilation are both so important! I've got two suggestions. The Restore run by Habitat for Humanity has doors, windows, and other useful stuff, very cheap. Also, rather than actual windows, a large opening covered in hardware cloth and maybe also woven wire, works great. In winter, some clear plastic sheeting over the lower section protects from snow and cold winds very well. Maybe not as beautiful, but good for the birds. Mary

Awesome!!!
thumbsup.gif

I was thinking that I would maybe... just maybe make window inserts backed inside the coop by hardware cloth, that way during extreme rain and cold I have a cover, but the clear plastic is definitely a great source to fall back on if that doesn't happen immediately. I was gonna put these in at the top, like a bunch of them

Thank you guys so much for all your support!
yesss.gif

Last edited:
I have just been referred to your build and I must say it is absolutely thought through and is exactly what I was going for. Props to you!
thumbsup.gif

So this weekend we again made a few tweaks, but I am very happy to say that we officially got started!!!!!
celebrate.gif

We have the final measurements which are 8' wide and 17' long and it will be somewhere near 6' high. ( the run that is). it has take a little while to get to where we probably could have been in just one days worth of work but we of course decided the coop would do best where our original garden was.....
he.gif
so we ended up moving the entire garden into a raised bed garden. we will also use planting pots for other garden items like tomatoes and beans, etc.... I have a few pictures of the project I have added below, however I meant to take pictures sunday night, but I was so exhausted I just couldn't even lift my camera haha. I will get some this week. so here is where I am on the pics.

And here is the start of the chicken run.

we had to stop all production for a 15 minute safety and approval inspection from our bosses:
bow.gif

Again, we are further along I just didn't get to take pics last night which I will do today or tomorrow. thanx again for the suggestions and support!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom