11 week old cockeral died today. Leg weakness, wheezing.

EggithaChristie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Western Washington
I posted a questi about my chick a couple days ago and nobody seemed to think it was anything to worry about. But, today my 11 week old chick died. I've been taking care of him for a few days because he was unable to support weight on his legs. He was still eating and drinking. I noticed him wheezing earlier today. I bathed him to put get the poop off his feathers, since he was not getting up to go, he'd get very messy overnight. Yesterday I noticed a reddish bump near his tail, under then skin that looked out of place. Other than that, nothing but those symptoms. I put him on a towel in a sunny spot after his bath to dry off. Checked on him periodically today and he seemed no different, still drinking and eating. Then, maybe an hour since my last check, my daughter found him dead. It was in the mid-70s in the sun, so I'm not thinking heat stroke. He seemed to shake after the bath and I thought he was cold. I am wondering if anyone has an idea has an idea what was wrong. And if I should be concerned about my 4 other chicks.

That's so sad
I think you just have to keep an eye on your other chickens any way you could get the chicken that dies tested to see what was wrong?
I have a chicken that isn't right, sleepy and seems very hot, maybe yours had an infection and temp and that's why it was shaky?

That's so sad
I think you just have to keep an eye on your other chickens any way you could get the chicken that dies tested to see what was wrong?
I have a chicken that isn't right, sleepy and seems very hot, maybe yours had an infection and temp and that's why it was shaking.
I have no idea how to go about getting it tested.

Back
Top Bottom