110˚ and my chickens have become honored guests

Washing machine tray! What an excellent idea!! My chooks are terrified of the wading pools, a washing machine tray might be less intimidating. Thanks for sharing!
I have some smaller shallow trays(~16x16"), think I got them at the same hardware, but cannot remember their intended use, they are much sturdier than the washing machine trays. Bought both for other uses, curing concrete sculpture, but use one smaller tray for ice blocks and also slaughtering.
Old metal broiler trays work good for ice pans.

You're not being over protective. They need relief from the heat. They can and do die if left unattended.

Don't let it make you paranoid but don't plan long absences and be ready with cooling strategies. I print out 14-day forecasts so I'm planning for the long range and then I check the hourly forecasts so I know when I'm "on duty" and when I can plan my errands away from home.
Thank you. That makes me feel so much better. We’ve never had heat like this in 25 years.

We’ve never had heat like this in 25 years.
@Sams Backyard Flock ...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1597690954021.png

I’m in Northern California Small town north of Sacramento and we’re having a horrible heat advisory and wave too. 110 to 112 this coming week. And next week up to 112. We often see highs that touch 103-105 but this Is Horrible. It’s good to see I’m not alone at being at my chickens beacon call. Misters, fans, Shade cloth, frozen treats. Being a newbie it really worries me that I’m being over protective. Good to see I’m not alone. 😊👍
I did this last week and we are getting the heat back sometime next week. I'm adding the fan to my regime of ice and a shade.
I would bring them into house if I could, 😄

You're not being over protective. They need relief from the heat. They can and do die if left unattended.

Don't let it make you paranoid but don't plan long absences and be ready with cooling strategies. I print out 14-day forecasts so I'm planning for the long range and then I check the hourly forecasts so I know when I'm "on duty" and when I can plan my errands away from home.
Good advice.

Poor things! We've gotten to the end of the day. It's still 99˚ but the sun will go down soon and that will cool things off.

Despite anything I can do for them they still suffer. And the next week looks like it will be a scorcher too. Not as bad but hardly good! I'm soooo grateful I located their coop and run in a yard with a lot of shade!
I live in Texas now. 109 degrees and super humidity even without the gulf storms. That is where my beloved ducks again outshine any chicken. Ducks lay before dawn. They don't drop off laying with slightest stress, and they definitely lay in the cold or extreme heat. Due to the covid thing, I see that I need to raise more than the 4H cornish I donate, but...the chickens are open mouthed and winged and miserable, but the ducks are in grasshopper, fly and skeeter assassin mode and more than earning their feed (and everyone elses!) My suggestion is even if you do not care for ducks, mix a few into your flock do you still have eggs and the ducls show the chickens where cooler spots are and keep up their happy declarations of what a joy it is to be alive on this 118 degree heat index day while the chickens pant and are motivated to get a drink and move to shade. Cayuga lay black eggs, I also have a lavender strain of khaki cambells I developed, but they all outshine and lay in cold or heat most chickens won't lay in. A mix is good. As a note, I do not care for turkey

Back
Top Bottom