110˚ and my chickens have become honored guests

We're a week into this heat and the indications are that it will remain extreme for another 2 weeks. Not sure when we'll ever get back to comfortable temps.

My question now is, is the effect of such high temps situational? Will they recover every night when it goes down to something closer to tolerable? Or is it cumulative? Will they be increasingly compromised in their ability to cope?

I count my blessings at the end of each day that I haven't had any losses. I'm just not sure I and they will continue to be as lucky.

We're a week into this heat and the indications are that it will remain extreme for another 2 weeks. Not sure when we'll ever get back to comfortable temps.

My question now is, is the effect of such high temps situational? Will they recover every night when it goes down to something closer to tolerable? Or is it cumulative? Will they be increasingly compromised in their ability to cope?

I count my blessings at the end of each day that I haven't had any losses. I'm just not sure I and they will continue to be as lucky.
I'd give the EL/Vits every 4-5 days, as described here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

I also give them EL/Vits in extreme 'cold waves'.....and have done a 'cold-reset' a couple times(recommended by @BantyChooks ), bringing bird into slightly warmer temps for a just a couple hours with feed and water. Have seen it work wonders in birds activity/eating/drinking levels. Wonders if that would help in hot weather too?

I kept asking my niece about this after she moved to Austin.
She said, it's just like winter up north, you go from place to place and don't tarry much outside in the extreme temps. Made sense to me!
She lived there for 10 years, but then moved back up north.
At least you can bundle up in the right clothes and play in the snow. :D
True, you can always put more clothes on but they frown on how many you can take off! I love Texas tho!

That’s crazy hot. Here in Virginia it was a bit too chilly for shorts this evening, which makes me sad. Summer is my favorite season. We had a very mild winter and an early spring, so I guess the cold is taking its turn to get here early. Which is unfortunate because I have baby chicks who want to start living outside in about a week or so!

Back
Top Bottom