11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone happen to be hatching duck eggs in a Nurture Right 360? I was just wondering if people had better hatch rates hand turning vs using the auto turner. It's day 10 and I have been manually turning 3x everyday since I've heard it's "better" for ducks:idunno but recently I've heard otherwise. And also, I just rotate them 180* from one side to the other however now I found (in a different thread) that you're supposed to flip them kind of like they're doing a somersault. Right now I'm a little confused since this is my first time using an incubator and I really want to get it right. A month ago, I made a DIY incubator for my first ever hatch and only 1 out of the 6 pipped and made it out of the shell, but she had some obvious neurological and internal issues and passed away a few days later. I was very attached to her so it was extremely sad and I don't want to make the same mistakes. Sorry for writing a whole essay of a post lol, but I'd appreciate any tips people might have.

Does anyone happen to be hatching duck eggs in a Nurture Right 360? I was just wondering if people had better hatch rates hand turning vs using the auto turner. It's day 10 and I have been manually turning 3x everyday since I've heard it's "better" for ducks:idunno but recently I've heard otherwise. And also, I just rotate them 180* from one side to the other however now I found (in a different thread) that you're supposed to flip them kind of like they're doing a somersault. Right now I'm a little confused since this is my first time using an incubator and I really want to get it right. A month ago, I made a DIY incubator for my first ever hatch and only 1 out of the 6 pipped and made it out of the shell, but she had some obvious neurological and internal issues and passed away a few days later. I was very attached to her so it was extremely sad and I don't want to make the same mistakes. Sorry for writing a whole essay of a post lol, but I'd appreciate any tips people might have.

F68C344C-B54C-4BF0-8DF3-E40D1717BB07.jpeg

Sorry... I thought that link would open in Amazon... anyway, I took it out and posted a screenshot. Holderread is THE recognized authority in the USA on waterfowl. Among many other things, it contains detailed instructions for incubation.

I read that waterfowl incubate better on their side rather than in a vertical turner so I've never incubated them vertically for comparison. I've only hatched goslings and not ducklings but I think it's similar.

Last year I hand-turned my goose eggs in the NR360 for the beginning of incubation and finished the hatch in the IncuView. This time I use my horizontal turner in the IncuView for the entire incubation and did one full rotation of the eggs twice a day by hand no somersaults though (only turned all the way over because goose eggs are big and they only rocked in the turner, I don't think you would need to do with with duck eggs)

I still had other eggs turning in the IncuView so those goose eggs are in lockdown in the NR360 right now! So far so good!

3-24-20 (1).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom