11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I collected my first two olive eggs to be incubated Saturday. They are on the egg turner in the incubator without the lid. I have 3 laying OEs but only get 2 eggs per day.
View attachment 2053470
Nice!

They should be very cute Chicks!

Ooo, I think I might be able to do this.
I'll try to set on the 21st with everyone else, but depending on the situation I may have to delay until the 22nd or 23rd. Either way, they should hatch right around Easter!

I'll be setting Orpingtons.
I plan to use both an incubator and a broody hen if one of my girls want to sit. Considering how often they want to go broody I don't think I should have much issue with that.
I want to eventually expand into other breeds of bird, but since this is my first hatch I'll stick with what I know for now before trying to purchase eggs.

I'll try to set on the 21st with everyone else, but depending on the situation I may have to delay until the 22nd or 23rd. Either way, they should hatch right around Easter!

I plan to use both an incubator and a broody hen if one of my girls want to sit. Considering how often they want to go broody I don't think I should have much issue with that.
I want to eventually expand into other breeds of bird, but since this is my first hatch I'll stick with what I know for now before trying to purchase eggs.
Welcome! Good luck.

Another question from a newbie... What do you use to clean your incubators?
I put a little glug of gold-colored listerine in a small spray bottle and spray the lid inside and out & wipe it down. (I sometimes use this to sanitize eggs if it seems to me they may need it.) I clean the screen over the fan with an old (dry) toothbrush then spray it lightly & let it dry. I put the bottom parts (all hard plastic) in the dishwasher (on the top shelf) and wash them alone; no soap and no dirty dishes. The soap is really alkaline... it would probably be okay, but with the water so hot, I don't think it's needed. It isn't as if the incubator pieces have dried on food.

It will be nice seeing some Orps hatch!

How do they hatch for you? They were frustratingly lazy hatchers when I hatched them. They drove me crazy!

It will be nice seeing some Orps hatch!

How do they hatch for you? They were frustratingly lazy hatchers when I hatched them. They drove me crazy!

I have no idea yet, but I'll let you know how it turns out. My hens and rooster were always an active bunch as chicks, but I wasn't there for their hatch days. This will be my first time really hatching any. I'll only really know what to expect weight-wise, egg shape, and all the basics.

Fingers crossed everything goes well.
If it does, I think next year we might try with bantams and even a couple of silkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom