11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I have 11 Pita Pinta eggs on Day 2.
I hatched 21 chicks of various breeds in February, but ended up with 18 cockerels and only 3 pullets! Yikes! I’m hoping for a better ratio with this set!

Attachments

• F72A93EB-9887-4C1D-A4D9-94E5C87755F7.jpeg
    F72A93EB-9887-4C1D-A4D9-94E5C87755F7.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 4
Hello! I have 11 Pita Pinta eggs on Day 2.
I hatched 21 chicks of various breeds in February, but ended up with 18 cockerels and only 3 pullets! Yikes! I’m hoping for a better ratio with this set!

That sounds a lot like my last hatch! Out of 6, I had 5 cockerels and only 1 pullet. I am also hoping for a better ratio this time around.

Well, I broke my assisted hatch rule today and I regret it. My main rule when assisting is that I don’t assist unless they pip on their own. I had 3 guinea eggs that I’ve been expecting to hatch since Tuesday. I candled saw they were wiggling around nicely. I didn’t see any external signs of hatching until yesterday when two of the eggs pipped. One hatched last night / this morning but the other two were stuck where they had been. I helped the second pipped one, it got shrink wrapped and the membrane was stuck to the down on its wing and head. The third was showing no progress, but on candling, was still very much alive. So I decided to break my rule and help even though it wasn’t pipped. On opening, it was somewhat shrink wrapped as well and I was feeling good about helping until I went to give it a dose of straight NutriDrench (something I do for all my chicks). The poor thing looks like Igor. It has a twisted face and a bit of a crossbeak. No wonder why it didn’t pip. I have a buyer for them. I’m only going to charge for the two healthy ones and throw Igor in for free. Other than the twisted face, Igor seems nice and lively and actually greedily drank the NutriDrench as soon as it had a taste.

95A77707-6C75-4D58-9A23-D684CE89AF16.jpeg

FA664D6E-0A1A-4D3A-889B-D2CEA7273229.jpeg

Well, I broke my assisted hatch rule today and I regret it. My main rule when assisting is that I don’t assist unless they pip on their own. I had 3 guinea eggs that I’ve been expecting to hatch since Tuesday. I candled saw they were wiggling around nicely. I didn’t see any external signs of hatching until yesterday when two of the eggs pipped. One hatched last night / this morning but the other two were stuck where they had been. I helped the second pipped one, it got shrink wrapped and the membrane was stuck to the down on its wing and head. The third was showing no progress, but on candling, was still very much alive. So I decided to break my rule and help even though it wasn’t pipped. On opening, it was somewhat shrink wrapped as well and I was feeling good about helping until I went to give it a dose of straight NutriDrench (something I do for all my chicks). The poor thing looks like Igor. It has a twisted face and a bit of a crossbeak. No wonder why it didn’t pip. I have a buyer for them. I’m only going to charge for the two healthy ones and throw Igor in for free. Other than the twisted face, Igor seems nice and lively and actually greedily drank the NutriDrench as soon as it had a taste.

95A77707-6C75-4D58-9A23-D684CE89AF16.jpeg

FA664D6E-0A1A-4D3A-889B-D2CEA7273229.jpeg
Poor thing!

You are giving it a shot though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom