11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first 4 chicks hatched this weekend. 1 duck in lockdown that may or may not hatch in time for this HAL. Ducks and more chicks this week and all month. My first group of eggs set were mostly clears (chickens) and a few early quitters (ducks). Got quite a few in their last week now so the boys and girls seem to be making magic now. (Merged 2 chicken flocks last month.)

All said and done, I'm happy with the outcome of this hatch and am looking forward to wrapping up the rest of this month's staggered hatches. (Trying to remember why I did it this way. 😁 )
20200411_173919.jpg

I can say with confidence that this will be my last hatch ever out of my current incubator. There is absolutely no reason I should have had a glued chick. Humidity is perfect, wouldn’t dare open the top. Ugh. Luckily everyone else, so I thought (story below) was hatched. Glued baby is out, no idea how long it was like that. Was not pipped last night, but glued this morning.

I thought my sweet little Viva, the one with the nail polish crack didn’t make it, I was going to candle for movement, picked up the egg and got a very loud peep! She pipped on the side towards the floor, right on her nail polish crack! I helped her about half way, and put her back to finish herself.

I had 1 egg pip in the middle of the shell last night. I wish I would have checked on it in the middle of the night, although there probably wasn’t anything I could have done to know. It was DIS this morning. It suffocated while trying to zip. It was malpositioned upside down. I’ve never had this happen, and it’s so sad to find.😢The other egg that didn’t make it died sometime early lockdown.

On a happy note, I have 6 little chicks from 10 shipped eggs, and 1 was cracked! Can’t wait till they’re all fluffed up!!View attachment 2090597
I am sorry for the hatch problems!

You will love having a new incubaor

Our two little chicks are great but they are also noisy! I saw the thread in the baby chicks forum about 2 chicks and I think I may have the same thing going on. I think the black and white chick thinks I'm her mother. Maybe because she hatched 15 hours before her sibling and I was the main one in our family keeping her company. She also likes it when the cats are nearby and watches them a lot. When nobody is near the brooder she will have times of constant peeping while looking out of the brooder as if waiting for someone to pay her attention! DSCF1269 (2).JPG I can't decide whether it would be best to purchase a few more chicks so they have a true flock to be with or not. I'd just as soon keep it to these two since we have a hatchery order coming in June and we have plenty of adult hens too. Then again what's a few more, Decisions, decisions...

Our two little chicks are great but they are also noisy! I saw the thread in the baby chicks forum about 2 chicks and I think I may have the same thing going on. I think the black and white chick thinks I'm her mother. Maybe because she hatched 15 hours before her sibling and I was the main one in our family keeping her company. She also likes it when the cats are nearby and watches them a lot. When nobody is near the brooder she will have times of constant peeping while looking out of the brooder as if waiting for someone to pay her attention! View attachment 2091366I can't decide whether it would be best to purchase a few more chicks so they have a true flock to be with or not. I'd just as soon keep it to these two since we have a hatchery order coming in June and we have plenty of adult hens too. Then again what's a few more, Decisions, decisions...
They will be fine!

Of course we would not stop you from getting more chicks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom