12 hens and 1 rooster lost in 2 days

As to the loss of the coyote puppies, Nature is cruel, so if you take out the mom or the dad, and the pups die, that is life.

Choices to be made, don't have chickens, have chickens and be prepared to lose some or all and apply no predator control or prevention, have chickens and lose a few but apply predator control. City folks would have an issue controlling predators due to the legalities of shooting inside city limits. There is a reason my state has a year round season on coyotes with no bag limit. Control.

Once again, so sorry for your loss.

Hey there.
frow.gif

Last year we had a really bad problem with coyotes.
They would come up to th chicken pen and just stare at them ...
ep.gif

Once I was out there feeding them and I had just let the chickens out and I heard 1 of by big BO roos having a fit!!! So I got out there to see what's up and there are 2 BIG HUGE coyotes just setting there staring at him licking their lips, so I srat yelling and screaming at them and what do they do??? They just sit their and STARE AT ME!!!!
barnie.gif

I considared chasing them ... but changed my mind!
So then finely the went just alittle ways away from the chicken yard, but not very far and then they just sit down and start staring at me ... YIKES! And this was just after lunch fellas'! So yes ... COYOTES need to be SHOT! I HATE THEM! I would SHOOT them. They arern't like puppys at all, they are like big huge wolves ...

Quote:
If coyotes are puppies, then mountain lions are kittens, and grizzly bears are stuffed teddy bears, and deranged serial killers are scared little children. With respect for you sensitive feelings, I think you need to get a grip and a realistic perspective.

If the coyotes get a pass because they were "here" before you, then maybe you should pack up and move back to the country your ancestors came from and donate your home to some descendants of the original residents, aka native Americans.

Coyotes are nobody's friend. They obviously have no remorse about eating your "friends," the wonderful chickens and rooster that have been your companions and have provided for your needs. Coyotes have been known to eat a calf/lamb/kid as it was being born or right after it was born before the mama had recovered enough to defend it. That does not sound like a cuddly puppy to me. Given the right opportunity they would eat your small child.

I'm not trying to gross you out and I certainly don't mean this to be rude or disrespectful, however, I do think you need to adjust your perspective to the real world. If a child killer had hold of your little child and you or your husband had the means of stopping them DEAD in their tracks I hope you would not stop to think that the bad guy must of had a bad upbringing and must have a need to kill your child, (maybe that is the case and maybe they are just doing what comes naturally to them--but that does not make it OK,) I hope that you would put them down as they deserve.

Personally I don't LOVE my chickens as much as you say you do. I like them alot, I am entertained by them alot, I take great care of them daily and I enjoy the eggs and know full well that I will enjoy them eventually in the stew pot. However, I do not hesitate for a second to kill any predator that would seek to have them for a meal. They are my property and my food source and defending them is also defending provision for my family.

That said, the way I most frequently protect my chickens is by providing a chicken Fort Knox for them to live in, especially at night. They do get to free range some in the daytime but only within the confines of electric netting, which so far has kept them in and four legged predators out (if you don't have any electric netting check out: http://www.premier1supplies.com I highly recommend their catalog; it will give you an education in fencing if you need such.

jjthink-grew up in the Sourlands now live in flemington. No coyotes around when I was kid, but they are all over now. Geo.

Last edited:
puppies???? I live in suburbia here in So Cal -near the ocean. I have lost 1 small terrier mix dog and 15 cats over the last 20 years to coyotes. They jump my 6' chain link fence as if it's nothing. My chickens don't get out of their coop/run unless I'm home.

Quote:
Perhaps a high powered paintball gun would re-train them

I do believe there is something to keeping the property less than comfortable or predictable. I seldom if ever see coyotes during the day. I hear them every night. Occasionally if they sound too close or the dog is really freaking out I will fire a couple of shot gun shots in the air to hopefully get them to head for the next place on the check list. I can't see them so I cant shoot at them.

I am sure the dog has a lot to do with it as well. I live in the country so a round or two in the air is not a problem. I have considered having a freind come in and set up and see if he can take a couple, but I think neighbors may be a little close for high powered rifle bullets. I dont think you can kill enough of them to make much difference in the amount of pressure, but I do think you can get them to go some other place where the pickings are easy.

They are smart animals

Quote:
Do you hate cats or something????

Not to answer for Violet, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Coyotes killed 15 cats of hers over the last 20 years. I guess she likes cats if she had that many, right, LOL? They are bad for eating cats and some don't know that even coons will kill cats. I've had friends who lost cats to coyotes. And I think it's because cats often will turn to fight rather than climb a tree. I know they used to do that when they'd get into my chainlink backyard and my dog would dispatch them. They never just turned and jumped back over the fence the same way they got in.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom