13th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I've got 14 duck eggs that were set in my only incubator just 5 days ago, so I don't think they'll hatch in time to participate in this hatch-a-long. I'm planning on setting another group shortly after these hatch. This only my second time incubator hatching duck eggs. Usually I let a broody hen do it but my only broody so far is a 4 pound Easter Egger, too small for 14 duck eggs.

My boyfriend wants me to but I won't hatch chicken eggs any more, I get too many roosters and can't give them away in a farming community. The last 2 times I let a broody hatch (2017, 2021), I got 2 roosters out of 3 eggs. The female died leaving only roosters, sexlinks. I kept both as I discovered they were father and son making them 2nd and 3rd generation roosters.. They looked nearly identical and behaved the same, even the same pitch crow. However, my Easter Egger rooster for some reason attacked them killing them both - he's in solitary confinement until I decide his fate. They were very docile, easy to hold like my buff Brahma and Cuckoo Marans roosters.
I candled the 14 eggs on day 7, moving questionable ones to one side to make it easier to candle on day 14. Now things go from good to terrible! 😭 The alarm went off about an hour or so later, to my horror the temperature was 127°F but humidity was right. The eggs were too hot to touch. Once I was able to candle them again, all the definitely fertilized ones had bloody yolks. I had no choice but to toss them all. I tested my incubator for 24 hours, no problems so not sure what happened. We did have some power fluctuations that evening but I'm using a high quality surge protector.

With encouragement from my boyfriend, I set another batch. 17 this time. I candle them last night on day 4, divided into groups - definite veins, nothing yet and maybe. I'll recheck between days 7-10. I have a feeling the Mallard eggs aren't going to be fertile but hopeful.

I'm looking into getting another incubator to try and join the Hatch-a-long.

I candled the 14 eggs on day 7, moving questionable ones to one side to make it easier to candle on day 14. Now things go from good to terrible! 😭 The alarm went off about an hour or so later, to my horror the temperature was 127°F but humidity was right. The eggs were too hot to touch. Once I was able to candle them again, all the definitely fertilized ones had bloody yolks. I had no choice but to toss them all. I tested my incubator for 24 hours, no problems so not sure what happened. We did have some power fluctuations that evening but I'm using a high quality surge protector.

With encouragement from my boyfriend, I set another batch. 17 this time. I candle them last night on day 4, divided into groups - definite veins, nothing yet and maybe. I'll recheck between days 7-10. I have a feeling the Mallard eggs aren't going to be fertile but hopeful.

I'm looking into getting another incubator to try and join the Hatch-a-long.
I’m so sorry! What a disaster. Which incubator were you using? Good luck with your newer hatch!

I’m so sorry! What a disaster. Which incubator were you using? Good luck with your newer hatch!
Thank you.. Its a Magicfly All-in-One, they came out on Amazon last June, so it's a 1st generation. They're off on temperature up to 5°F and humidity by 4-6%, I use additional gages inside incubator. That was only my second time using it. Last year it did great once I adjusted the settings where the machines readout is off. All 4 duck eggs hatched, sold all 4 together too. Usually I only have to add water twice a day, the temperature/humidity levels stay in range otherwise.

Here's the incubator I'm using. As I said, I have to adjust the settings because they're off. The gages inside incubator are on target.
20220306_085025.jpg

Thank you.. Its a Magicfly All-in-One, they came out on Amazon last June, so it's a 1st generation. They're off on temperature up to 5°F and humidity by 4-6%, I use additional gages inside incubator. That was only my second time using it. Last year it did great once I adjusted the settings where the machines readout is off. All 4 duck eggs hatched, sold all 4 together too. Usually I only have to add water twice a day, the temperature/humidity levels stay in range otherwise.

Here's the incubator I'm using. As I said, I have to adjust the settings because they're off. The gages inside incubator are on target.
View attachment 3015633
Might I suggest the Nurture Right 360? @CluckNDoodle help me out here 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom